Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween Fun and Eva's First Word!

The highlight of this week was, of course, Halloween night. Rachel and I finished carving our second pumpkins during the week and then decorated the front porch as a “haunted house” for the trick-or-treaters. We had a flashing green strobe light, scary music, lots of spider webs, spooky decorations (skulls, tattered cloth, etc), and of course our pumpkins. Rachel and I both dressed all in black and wore creepy masks.

I am proud to say that the overall effect was scary enough to deter some kids from coming onto our porch. It was fun to see them “daring” each other to go and get some candy from us, and we got a lot of good comments from parents and kids alike. It was fun and something we will have to continue in upcoming years.

Evelyn’s highlight of the week, however, was not Halloween (although she did like to scavenge the floor for bits of carved pumpkin to put in her mouth). Instead, she surprised us all with her first word! I looked at her while I was making a bottle and did the sign for “milk” when she surprised me by signing it back. Since then we have been paying attention, and sure enough, she signs “milk” whenever she is hungry, or when she is eating. So smart (I suppose we are easily impressed).


Here are the second pumpkins that we carved (the first are on last week's post). I did the vampire and Rachel did the Dragon. I think they both turned out great!


Here we are on the porch waiting to give out candy.





Here's Eva signing "milk" with her right hand (pumping motion)

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Your pumpkins are awesome! It makes ours look like children carved them. We are impressed. What a fun Halloween night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stetson shrieked when he saw your pumpkins. Totally creepy and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blog is in the same niche as yours, and my users would benefit from some of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Thank you.
    safety course in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog?
    safety course in chennai

    ReplyDelete