Sunday, October 26, 2008

Parties and Pumpkins

The Hazard family fall traditions continued this week. This weekend we carved pumpkins. Logan and I have carved pumpkins together for the past four years. Every year our pumpkins get better, and this year did not disappoint! My pumpkin took five hours to carve, and Logan says “my pumpkin took at least a thousand hours… at least.”

I remember the first time I saw myself without my front tooth. I was horrified! I never thought anyone (besides Logan) would ever see me like that! Well, this week I think our whole ward and most of Cleveland witnessed me without my very important front tooth. I have not been able to put my tooth in for a whole week because my gums have been so sore from the surgeries. I decided that I didn’t want to miss the parties so I went anyway! If I think about it, then I am very embarrassed. I just choose not to think about it!

Friday was our annual ward Halloween chili cook-off party. Evelyn made her debut as a cute little spider witch, and she had a great time with some of the other little kids in the ward. Logan and I decorated a table and handed out candy to the kids. I decided to enter chili in the contest. This was the first time I ever made chili and I have decided that I am perfectly content buying canned chili for the rest of my life! I did, however, end up winning the first prize for the best overall chili! That was pretty exciting!

Saturday we had our CADA carnival. I really enjoyed planning this party with the CADA presidency. It was fun to see all of our ideas put into action. We had about twelve games (lucky duck, pirate treasure, cake walk, etc), a few adult competitions (corn hole, sack races, and basketball), and we had plenty of great carnival food. Everything worked out perfectly and I am excited to make this a tradition while we are in Cleveland.



Evelyn, Alta, and Rhoda played together on the table while we ate. These cute babies were all born within two weeks of each other!



I got a lot of practice smiling with my lips closed!


Evelyn and Anaya played on the floor for a while. Anaya introduced Eva to the exciting world of helium balloons.


This costume was a close second! We got this treasure in a bag of free clothes that came with one of our Craigslist purchases.


Here is Evelyn showing off our 'before' pumpkins.


Logan is absolutely amazing. This is Pinhead from the British horror film Hellraiser.


This is my first pumpkin. My second pumpkin is the scary one! It was difficult to get a picture of the entire pumpkin, so Logan took two individual pictures of the charactors and superimposed the picture of the actual pumpkin (actual sizes) in the center.

7 comments:

  1. OK Awesome pumpkins!!! Also, I'm a little embarrassed hearing that it was your first time making chili and you won over me,a culinary school graduate. Please can I have the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you guys have real pumpkin carving talent! I had no idea! and those girls are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I showed Joe Logans pumpkin and he said "woohh thats really cool" I say the same, and I love yours Rachel very "safe" and not freaky like Logans. I always hated Hellraiser....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE her costume, what a stinkin cute little witch! She is such a babe! The pumpkins are awesome too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to tell you that your pumpkins are AMAZING!!! Last night, just before we all went to bed I hurried and looked at your blog and everyone gathered around and ooohed and aaahed. We couldn't believe that those were pumpkins, especially Mr. Pinhead! I think you could easily be a surgeon, Logan, because you have steady hands and obviously a lot of patience to do a good job. Anyway, I wish you could've heard our responses. I'm sure its the reaction you would have loved.

    And of course, Evelyn is a darling little witch. We can never get enough of her pictures!

    Rachel, good for you for going out in public even with your missing tooth. I am proud of you! It shows that you are confident in who you really are, and no one will ever remember what you looked like anyway. You are wonderful. with or without a front tooth!

    We love you all. Happy Halloween!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog?
    safety course in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  7. My of developer is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because the expenses.
    safety course in chennai

    ReplyDelete