Tuesday, November 18, 2008

She was a Good Dog


Last night I received some very sad news from my dad. Our beloved family dog, Cassie, was "sent to a better place" at the vet. It was time. She was old, and had arthritis, and her quality of life here just wasn't very good any more. It was still sad though, and I must admit that I let a few tears leak out. Cassie grew up with me and was, at times, my best friend. To some people it may sound sort of petty that a dog could mean so much to a boy, but those people didn't know Cassie. She was a good dog.

Cassie was a boarder collie- a sheep dog, and that meant that she would heard everything. When she was a puppy she would heard the broom as we swept the house and she would try to heard the sprinklers in our back yard and just get a face full of water. She would also try to heard cars until she was run over one too many times and decided that it was better for her health to allow the cars to roam free.

She loved to play fetch. She would fetch anything- tennis balls, racquetballs, soccer balls, golf balls, soft balls. She had several teeth knocked out from catching baseballs. That didn't bother her though, as long as she got the ball. In the winter time she would play fetch up and down the stairs in the house. She could play for hours. Sometimes I would take her to a big field with a tennis racquet or golf club to try and tire her out, but it didn't happen. She would play with her ball all day if you let her.

She also loved to go on walks. All you had to do was say the word "walk" and she would get all giddy and prance around until you let her out. Sometimes for her walk we would let her pull us on our roller-blades or sleds. It didn't matter to her as long as she was out on a walk.

As the years went by, however, she started losing her eyesight. She could no longer see the balls and could no longer muster the energy for walks. Sometimes she would try to play, only to lay down after just a few minutes and spend the next hour recovering. She was 13 years old. Supposedly that is about 91 in "dog years." I'd say she had a good life. Like I said, she was a good dog. She will be missed.

As I looked around in my old picture box, these are the only pictures of her I could find.



5 comments:

  1. oh how sad! i too have many cassie memories and i know my nephew jackson was a HUGE fan as well. she really was a good dog.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I am a little late commenting, but I loved what you wrote about Cassie. I was so sad to find out she had passed on. Cassie was the best dog I have ever known. I loved how she would pull us on the sled down your street and her amazing ball catching ability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, however, I was wondering if you could write a little more on this subject?
    nebosh igc courses in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, however, I was wondering if you could write a little more on this subject?
    nebosh course in chennai

    ReplyDelete