Monday, December 23, 2019

Here we are, two days before Christmas, and I have to say that I am more excited about it this year than I have been in the past. I think this is because our kids are getting older. I know, some people say that having super young kids around "keeps the magic" and all that, and I completely understand what they are saying. It just hasn't been my experience. What I have actually seen is that young children and grown adults have different priorities, and that instead of being "magical," having both in one place just means that we have to negotiate a lose-lose compromise to keep these priorities in balance. Call me a grinch if you want, but I completely empathize with the antihero in the famous Dr. Seuess poem:

      For, tomorrow, I know all the Who girls and boys
      Will wake bright and early. They'll rush for their toys!
      And then! Oh, the noise! Oh, the noise! Noise! Noise! Noise!      There's one thing I hate! All the NOISE! NOISE! NOISE! NOISE!



Don't get me wrong. There are other parts about the holidays I love. The quiet, cozy moments with a warm drink in a clean room smelling of cinnamon and fir. The twinkling of a dimly lit tree. "Silver Bells" playing in the background while we watch the gently-falling snow out of our large picture-frame windows. Parties with friends, and parties with friends who have become family. Walking down Sherman at nighttime, admiring the lights and sounds and smells coming from the various shops. Sitting around a fireplace playing games. Wearing turtleneck sweaters. The carving of the "roast beast." These things are Christmas to me. Presents have very little to do with it, and when they do come into the picture the anticipation is more for the joy that can be brought to others than for the desires to add to one's already overflowing collection of "stuff."

And as our family gets older, and I think, as our kids realize more and more how well-off they already are, this second version of Christmas has definitely become more of our "jam" than the auditory and visual noise that has typified the season in the past. It is lovely.


(Far left)

Lindsey had her Christmas dance recital. She did great!

Three angels, right in the front.

Jackson is the sad cow with chopped-off horns.
The four youngers were in a Christmas pageant.

Jackson is circled way near the bottom of the run. He is systematically trying to tick off all of the black diamond runs without falling so that I can take him on the double-black he has been eyeing.

These two girls (Ev and Addy) decided to go out of bounds to jump off a cliff. Addy ended up getting stuck and Rach had to climb down and rescue her. It was an hour-long ordeal, and they both collapsed on the ground in tears when they finally made it back. You can see Rach in the background, still hiking out.
 Skiing this week


Here's a Christmas party we went to with our work-family. Really, I couldn't ask for a better team. I love us.

Have a good week!

1 comment:

  1. I like your take on Christmas. It's fun to have the kids getting old and mature enough to enjoy the giving more than the getting. And . . . not to be so noisy. We were watching home movies of Christmases past and it was fun to watch Logan as a kid.

    ReplyDelete