Monday, December 16, 2019

Evelyn had her first band concert this week. She was pretty nervous leading up to it, because I guess there was one drummer that kept starting a certain part too early, leading half of the band to be playing one measure ahead of the other half. According to Ev, this sounded like a train wreck, and it happened pretty regularly in practice right up until the day of the concert. Knowing this made me laugh a little bit inside when, right in the middle of the song they were performing, I saw Evelyn reach out with one hand and physically restrain the drumsticks of the person standing next to her as they tried to come in (too early). The song continued on without a hitch, and nobody realized the near disaster. Honestly, I was mostly impressed with the kids- most of whom had only started to learn their instruments two months ago. I was also impressed with Tyler, the band teacher, and his patience with these kids. I get to perform with him pretty regularly in the band at church, and he is a great musician as well as a great teacher.




*****

This weekend was also opening day at the ski resort, and we all had a good time getting back into the groove of winter. I was even able to get out a little bit on my stupid broken toe, but it will be a few more weeks before I am able to really do anything. Just as well. I have new park skis that I am excited to use this season, and since there was just barely even enough snow to open, the park is still in the process of being built. It was enough to watch Maren hit a jump unawares and go for a surprise flight to give us all enough entertainment for the day. She was a champ about it and laughed with the rest of us as I helped her put her skis back on.



Lindsey spent most of the day digging in the snow for dinosaur bones. She has got to learn how to ski better so Rachel and I aren't stuck taking turns with her. 

Have a good week!


2 comments:

  1. Way to go Evelyn. You saved the concert. Evelyn, you make that dress look good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the concert went well. I think Ev is a natural born percussionist! Some drummers just make noise, but others make rhythm and make everybody else look better . . . Ev is the second.

    Broken toes make everything hard. I hope it gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete