Tuesday, July 10, 2018

*Deep breath*

I don't even know where to start this post. Summer is in full swing and we have so much going on and I don't feel like it's even possible to get everything out there right now. Since I last wrote, we have visited my sister's farm in Southern Idaho, had a family reunion in Rexburg, and gone to another family reunion in Utah. I did an awesome hike/climb that I want to talk about, our kids started summer camp today, our annual free dentistry event is in just a few days, and Rachel leaves tomorrow for a week-long interpreting conference. Two days after she gets back, we will have a packed house for another family reunion which we are hosting here.

Summers are fun.

But there is no way I am going to cover all of this stuff in one post.

*****

Alright then. Let's go back to Friday, June 29th. On that day, Rachel got all the kids in the car and headed out for Rexburg in the middle of the afternoon. I stayed to finish my work day, and then followed her in my car just a few hours later. The vacation had started.

After a leisurely morning at my parent's house the next day, we all got back into our cars and made the short trip to Courtney and Rick's farm home on the outskirts of Twin Falls. Upon arrival we were hit with the smells of the farm (not altogether unpleasant), the sounds of children playing, and the smiling faces of family who were involved in a game of volleyball. There was a bounce-house setup in the back, and food cooking in the kitchen.

Courtney lives in the house her husband grew up in, and on land that was in the family long before that. The entire property is permeated with an engaging sense of "story" - like it fits into a greater narrative, each doorway glimpsing into the past while simultaneously anticipating the future.

Just down the road from their land is a historic homestead that was a landmark on the old Oregon Trail. We went and visited it, entering into the lives of the early settlers and imagining how things must have been.

I have to admit, the world of trucks, guns, quads, animals, and crops is one that I don't step into very often. It's a novelty to me, and as such, retains a certain charm that adds that much more to the experience. On Sunday afternoon as we sat around with extended family, children running wild, meat on the grill, wide open spaces all around us, it all hit me. The food, the laughter, the friends- I suddenly felt satiated of a certain thirst that I didn't even recognize I had- one that yearned for a slower, simpler lifestyle, steeped in the history and experience of those who had gone before.

It was nice and we had a wonderful time. Thank you Courtney and Rick, for being such great hosts.

The bounce house was a hit with the kids

Guns. So, I would officially starve to death if grocery stores were to go extinct.



Evelyn and I escaped for a quick ride around the fields.

My grandma and grandpa with sweet little Hazel Joy- Courtney's new baby that was blessed that day in church.

*****

After visiting the farm we all drove back to my parent's place in Rexburg to continue our reunion.

I have to say, these events have become difficult for me to write about because they are always so full of activity that it is easy to get swamped into describing what "happened" rather than what it all "meant." This second question, I think, deserves a lot more time that it is usually given. So let me just say this:

We had fun. We did stuff. Fun stuff. The stuff was fun. Good fun. Good stuff. Good, fun stuff.

But more importantly, we did it together. There's a bunch of us now, with brothers and sisters and kids and aunts and uncles, and cousins, and regardless of what we were doing, we had a chance to reconnect with each other. Don't get me wrong- I think the good, fun stuff was an important backdrop and catalyst to these ongoing relationships. But, as always, the real story is in the people. In the small conversations that last into the night- in the hugs- in the fights and reconciliations- in the games- in the children- in becoming, if only briefly, a more tangible part of each other's lives than we do on a regular basis. I think that good relationships are one of the most worthwhile investments into long-term satisfaction and fulfillment in life, and because of this, I love that we do these reunions.

My family is awesome. On to the pictures.

This first set is from a swimming pool and hot springs area that we went to. The kids loved the big water slide. My favorite memory here was watching all the little kids attack uncle Clayson in the pool and thinking "Gee- I'm glad that's not me." He was a good sport.




I had to include this next one. One staple of family reunions is an endless supply of snack foods. So much, that sometimes it gets out of hand and kids forget that nutrition is a thing. I think that Haley was onto something when she put this sign around Callahan's neck.



"The Gravity Zone" is a business in Rexburg that is part bounce-house, part ninja warrior training course, and part gymnastics gym. Everyone had a good time. And by the way- Addy could be a gladiator. She dominated among the kids.



A new way to solve marital disputes?

Playing dress-up never gets old. This next one comes from a fashion show the kids put on for us. Jackson was a "rock star."



On July 3rd, Lindsey became a 4-year-old! As our only kid with a summer birthday, she is going to have to learn to celebrate while on the road. Ask me how I know. Also, I am so glad that she had finally outgrown the "threes," as she is easily the most mischievous child we have had. She is also a spunky little firecracker who still runs to give me hugs when I walk in the door and asks to read stories while cuddling. I love this little Linzy-Binz.



So, the town of Rexburg treats independence day the same as Times Square treats New Year's. They go all out. For such a small town, the parade is one of the best I've been to. The only reason anybody isn't watching it is because they are in it. That night we did the best homespun firework show in history, thanks to Matt who brought a whole truck-bed full of flashy explosives. Good times.

It got loud. Jackson was a sweet brother.



Photo credits on the last two to Matt and Haley- I took them from Facebook so the quality isn't there, but I thought they were great pictures. 
Unfortunately for me, I had to head back home on the 4th to work the next day. Almost everyone else continued the vacation by driving to Utah for a different reunion. Rachel will write about that at a later time. As for now, I just have to say thanks to my family for being the best ever.

Have a good week!

We did family pictures too. Here are preliminary results. Stay tuned. 






No comments:

Post a Comment