Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Note: While I have been pretty consistent posting on here once per week, the pace of our activities has recently taken an upswing. Consequentially, I will be doing several posts in a pretty short period of time. So...if you are one of our many adoring fans that likes to keep updated on every aspect of our public lives (including our family reunion), then go back and make sure you didn't miss anything.

*****

What does summer mean to you? It sounds like a cheap back-to-school writing assignment. But really, think about it.

Is it a drink in your hand, back up against the burning sand, probably getting gorgeously tanned? Is it bowling in the arcade? Is it strolling, while you drink lemonade? Is it fishing in a stream while you lazily dream on the banks as the clouds go by? Or a perfect song on the radio? A smile? A kiss? Strawberry wine? No shirt, no shoes?  Or just standing on your mama's porch, thinking it'll last forever.

Is it listing song lyrics because you have some downtime at work and it makes you feel clever? (bonus to whoever knows all the above references)

But really, summertime has a certain feel to it that has inspired art and music for a reason. It's sentimental and lazy and full of life all at the same time. I found that feeling last week in Post Falls. I'll describe it to you.

*****

Picture a nice marina, with a dock leading up to a patio and a sandy beach off to the side. It is the time of day that photographers call "the golden hour," with the sun starting to touch down on the water casting everything in a soft, warm glow. At the beach are families playing- swimming, sand castles, Frisbee, volleyball. Further out are people on paddle-boards or kayaks. Boats are slowly coming and going from their slips, people happy just to be out on this beautiful evening.

On the patio there is a band with a great guitarist. Music fills the air, mixing with the sounds of laughter and smells of food. People are up dancing, completely taken up by the relaxed atmosphere. Others are sitting at tables taking it all in, some with drinks, some with fresh grilled meals or appetizers, and all talking with friends and enjoying each other's company.

All of this, the sights, the sounds, the activity, the smells...this is Summer to me. I've said it before and I'll say it a thousand times again- I love where we live.



The only thing that would have made the scenario better would be if Rachel was there to dance with me.

*****

Remember in the last post how I had to go back home to work while everyone else went down to Utah? Yeah. Well, I worked. But I played too. And relaxing in the Summer haze was only a part of that.

On Friday night after work I drove up to the trail-head for a climb I have been wanting to do for a long time. Chimney rock loomed up in the twilight as if it were a giant finger, beckoning me onward to discover its hidden secrets.


The next morning I started bright and early, working up a light sweat on the six mile hike up to the base. It was a pretty hike in the North Idaho wilderness, and once again I was thankful that I had this place as my backyard.



Once there, I switched out my trail-runners for technical climbing shoes, and three short pitches later (easy fifth class) I was standing on top of the world. It was an exhilarating morning in a beautiful location. I was back in Sandpoint in time for a big lunch, followed by a much-needed nap under a shade tree by the lake.

Summit!
Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment