Sunday, November 28, 2010

I don't really know how to begin this week. It was so full of activities that writing about it might take a while. So hold on and, if you want, just skip to the end where you can see it all in pictures.

So, this morning Evelyn got up really early and asked me for "purple yogurt." I patiently informed her that we did not have purple yogurt, but she was adamant that the vanilla yogurt in the fridge was purple. After I put some in a bowl to show her that it was, in fact, white she looked at me as if I was stupid, and then said in a very matter-of-fact voice, "Daddy- make it purple. Red and blue make purple."

Apparently Mama has been teaching the colors with food coloring.

Monday was a day of dates. In the afternoon during Jack and Addy's naps Rachel took Evelyn on a date to the science museum. Evelyn has recently been a bit obsessed with space and astronauts, so it was really fun for her to go the the space exhibits and have some one-on-one with Mama. If you remember, I took Evelyn on a date about a month ago where we watched a movie. Rachel and I decided to make this a tradition- each month we will try to take each of our children out on dates- or "guys-night-out" as the case may be. This month it was Rachel's turn.

Later in the day we got a babysitter and Rachel and I went to the Broadway production of Billy Elliot the Musical. The night out was great and the show was amazing. I love going to shows- especially musicals- and this one did not disappoint.

Tuesday I can't remember what we did besides going shopping. Sort of boring, but also a nice day of relaxation.

On Wednesday we packed the kids into the car in the morning and drove to Columbus where we went to the COSI museum. We had been there once before and decided it was worth a second trip. It was even better this time around because Addy and Jack are actually old enough to interact and have fun. I love having young kids!

Thursday, of course, was Thanksgiving day. We celebrated by inviting two other families (also students) over to our house for a shared Thanksgiving dinner and game night. The food was great- the company better. We feel so blessed to feel so at home here in Cleveland and for our extended family-away-from-family that we have developed. It is crazy that we only have about six months left here and it is sort of sad to think of leaving. Anyway- I'll address that in a different post.

Friday was the day that we abandoned all sense of reason in the pursuit of merchandise. Yes, I was at Wal-mart at 2:45 in the morning standing in line so that, at 5:00, I could buy a laptop. Fortunately I was able to get one, and Rachel now has a computer with a working "P." Later in the day we went to the mall and made our wish-lists for Christmas but didn't buy anything except for a couple of tacos. They weren't even on sale.

On Saturday we again loaded the kids up into the car and drove to Toledo to yet another museum. I should mention here that these two hour car trips are becoming somewhat of an ordeal since the heater has gone out on the passenger side of the van and instead blows out freezing cold air-conditioned air. This means that either the passenger (usually me) is really, Really, REALLY cold or that the entire car must adapt to "room temperature" which is dropping pretty low the farther we get into winter. Fortunately, the $3 part that I need to fix it is on its way and we soon won't have these issues any more.

Anyway, that was totally beside the point. The point is that we went to the Imagination Station in Toledo and that it was well worth the drive because the discovery museum is awesome. Everyone had a fun time and we could hardly get Evelyn to leave at the end of the day.

Like I said, it has been a fantastic, busy week.

This is Evelyn the "princess astronaut" at the Imagination Station

The kids table during Thanksgiving.


Addy at COSI. She loved splashing in the water and getting everything wet. Oh the joy!



Jackson at COSI. He just wanted to figure out how things work. He could be an engineer someday.


Before

After. It was a sad, yet long-overdue day.

Evelyn on her date with Mama. Here, she is landing a spaceship. She was very focused.



More pictures of Evelyn on her date with Mama.



Ok- these last three pictures were actually taken months ago, but they were just barely "discovered." I thought they were to cute to leave unpublished.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness- was that Jack with the golden locks? I cannot believe how Evelyn, Jack, and Addy have grown, they are adorable!! I love Evelyn's curly hair!! Can't wait to see you all at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evelyn's hair is so beautiful! You guys know how to plan and have fun... way to go!

    ReplyDelete