Tuesday, May 2, 2023

 This is a bittersweet post. Before anything though, I want to revisit what I wrote last November:

"I can't explain to myself the degree of excitement that was going through me on Friday night. We had driven up to the Wallace house and had a good evening with the kids before putting them to bed and going out on a little date. Later that night, laying in bed, I felt like a kid on Christmas Eve. It was ridiculous, and though I was fully aware of this fact, I couldn't help it. In a few short hours I would be in line for first chair on the first day of ski season.

The entire family was stoked to be on snow again, the sun was shining, and the atmosphere was festive. From now until sometime in the spring, we'll probably ski at least once a week. Sometimes this will mean big trips to big resorts, and others will be short half-days closer to home. We'll spend long hours in cars and hotel rooms. We'll laugh, and cry and have our individual victories. There will be some injuries, hopefully minor, and there will definitely be a lot of stories. And it all started on Saturday morning. Let the season begin!"

*****

"From now until sometime in spring." Well, that day finally came. And what an amazing season it has been. Going by numbers alone, our family has skied at 18 different resorts this year, with an average of 41 days per person. I personally got in 60 days, and Rachel and Addy tied at 46. We have driven close to 20 thousand miles and stayed in countless hotels. We have eaten over 600 slices of pizza. We have laughed and we have cried; we've celebrated, screamed, whooped, danced, fallen, jumped, and sang our way down literally thousands of different runs. It has seriously been a dream, and I'm pretty sure that every single person in our family shed a tear on the gondola last Sunday as it brought us down the mountain for the last time. Heck, I'm getting a little misty-eyed just writing this!

During that gondola ride we all brought up some of our favorite memories. There are too many stories to retell them all here, but it was very clear that these days will stay with us forever. Even if the details eventually fade away and the rush of cold wind on our faces seems distant, the effects of this season, both individually and as a family, will always be there.

And now it's over. 

Nothing lasts forever, and I guess that's part of what makes it special.

Our skis are hung up for the last time; our boots and gloves all tucked away safely in their bags.

...Just waiting for sometime in November, when the snow falls again, and it all starts anew.

Until next season. It's been real.

The weather approached the 70s on our last day

"No such thing as bad conditions, only bad skiers!" We say this a lot as a family. Here we are testing that theory! (Both kids are getting new skis next year, so...)

Splashy springy fun

Hanging out at the resort

*****

Most expensive deck of cards ever? If these were each day passes, they would be worth about 35 thousand dollars. Fortunately, we have other passes that give us a pretty steep discount.


*****

This next series of photos is from throughout the season, but I just had to say a little about each person in the family. Ev wins the award for our most improved skier of the year. I remember earlier in the season we did a run together that was almost two miles straight of moguls. Evelyn fell 34 times (but she only started counting after 10). Each time she would get up and keep going. And when we got down, she said "Let's do it again." She has pushed herself so hard! She does it all with such a chill attitude as well, that it is hard not to have fun with her. I have to say now that doing that same run, she would not only stay on her feet the whole time, but she would probably do it three times faster and with three times as much style. Later in the season she has been right by my side during some of the most technically demanding runs that I have ever done- and that's saying something!. 

Addy has been my most consistent ski partner this year, and her skill shows it. I don't love making comparisons, but we all do it anyway so what the heck- Addy is the second best skier in the family (after me) and it's not even close. If she keeps it up then she will surpass me within just another season or two. We have spent a lot of time on the mountain together, and maintain a constant banter throughout each day, seriously pushing each other to the edges of our comfort zones. She is playful and funny and so much fun to hang out with. That's my Addy-O!

She drew this picture for me on my phone this week. She said it was her and me, skiing together. "But you are at the bottom waiting, like always. Just scroll down to see..."

...So I scroll down and this is what I see. "Going fast is a good way to compensate for poor technique."

Touché, Addy. You got me! But sometimes skiing on the edge of control is more fun than good technique, so there is that.

Jackson has been my go-to partner on my most adventurous runs. He doesn't shy away from much, and isn't turned off by a little hiking.


Maren is the most "chill" skier on the mountain. We once had a conversation when she said "Hey dad, you know how it is kind of fun to scare yourself when you ski by going really really fast or by doing steep runs with big consequences? Yeah...I don't have that. I think it's just scary and hard. But I think I have more fun than you."

Well, fun is relative I suppose, but this girl sure knows how to find it. She loves being in the mountains and pointing out that both beauty and humor can be found in pretty much every situation.

Lindzo has improved this year almost as much as Ev. She definitely talks the talk, and she is learning to back it up with some pretty good skiing. She seems to have hooked up a lot this year with either Jackson or Evelyn, can definitely hold her own on most runs, and is a really good side-slipper when things get dodgy. 

Rachel has had a good, but somewhat frustrating year with her knee. She has been able to do most of our trips, but has had to hold herself back for much of the season from really pushing hard. Even so, her improvement is noticeable! She has recently been putting it all out there playing on the bumps and racing the steeps. She is a great ski partner, and we have had many good runs together. It is also always a special treat when the kids go off on their own and we are able to sneak a quick lunch date on some mid-mountain restaurant. Still the love of my life, we are coming up on our 18th anniversary in a few days. Man, what a trip it has been so far- what a life we have built!

*****

Luckily, skiing isn't the only thing we do. As I mentioned in a past post, we have been working hard on spring-time projects and other warm-weather activities. All the girl's bedrooms are being redone at home, and the Wallace house is receiving some attention in previously neglected areas. I have to say- for me, at least, doing projects at home seems like work. Doing them in Wallace though, seems entirely different. I feel like a kid again, building forts and secret hideouts, but only the adult version. It's coming along nicely.

We've also played outside a bit. The neighborhood has come alive with kids, and our house is a common hang-out spot. It is loud and busy and mostly fun, but sometimes a little overwhelming. Yesterday we had to tell Jack and his friends that they are not allowed to ride go-carts in the house. The things you never think you'll have to say as a parent. Bikes, scooters, roller-blades, and skateboards are constantly in use, and, thanks to both me and Evelyn, we have a constant soundtrack of punk, grunge, and ska music from the 90s. It really is like being a kid! (But the adult version).

Anyway, if you've made it this far in the blog, I'll reward you with more pictures from the week. I really am excited about warmer weather and the activities that allows for. We are busily planning our summer vacations and are looking forward to lots of visitors. Lots of live music. Lots of swimming and hiking and climbing. It's gonna be good.

These first few are all from a hike that just Maren, Addy, and I went on







There is this fountain that is built out of old mining equipment and runs year-round. In the winter it makes spectacular ice sculptures!


This is what's left of the ice formations by the fountain. Still pretty cool!


After the hike we went and hung out in Wallace until the others came up to meet us that night

One of the greatest things about the Wallace house is being able to leave the kids there and just walk down the stairs to so many great restaurants. On this night we had a nice dinner and then walked across to a small pub with live music. 

We've been building out a little skate park at home for those of us who want to keep playing in the summer. Remember the whole 90's thing. Yeah, that's us. Sometimes I wonder about the "adulting" part though. Being a kid is more fun, so I think I'll just do that. Also, there is definitely some crossover with skiing.

Landed it, but missed the grab
There it is!


This room has been more work than we imagined. It still isn't finished. It's getting there though.





Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment