Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Yesterday, we were sitting on the couch doing a crossword puzzle when the doorbell rang. I overheard the conversation when Rachel opened it to a very concerned, well-dressed, middle-aged woman.

Her: "Um...I was just driving by and I noticed that you have a bunch of kids on your roof. I just thought I should stop and let you know."

Rachel: "Yep. They're making a movie. It's okay. I told them not to fall off."

Her: slow blinks, trying to process "Okayyy. I was just concerned. I wouldn't want my kids on the roof."

Rachel: "That's very nice of you, and thank you for watching out for other kids in the neighborhood. I'm sure they'll be fine though."

Now, I'm not going to weigh in too much about the propriety of kids making rooftop movies. I do think it would be interesting to bring this well-meaning lady with us on a family skiing or climbing trip. The main reason I am sharing this story however, is because I think Rachel is an excellent mom, and I think this woman probably is as well. There are a lot of good moms out there. But I am just really happy that Rachel happens to be the mom in our family. We are all better because of her, if not safer, and I love the culture that she has helped foster in our home. Happy Mother's day to everyone...but especially to Rach. We love you!

And for the record, nobody fell off the roof.

*****

As for our week, it was pretty much business as usual for most of it. The weekend really stood out though. From my own perspective, it was pretty much perfect. Three days, each with a different focus. Saturday was all about Rachel and me. Sunday was a lovely day with the entire family. And Monday was a day I had mostly to myself. I feel like I crave all three of these things, and am often juggling my time between them. The balance this week has just been especially nice.

The plan on Saturday morning was to drive up and continue some projects we had started in Wallace. We would only stay until lunch, and then head back home. Everyone was invited, but it turns out that none of the kids wanted to go. They were tired. They wanted to watch a show. They had plans with friends. It was a Saturday morning after all. And so with a shrug and a wink, we headed out on our own for an unplanned "date" of sorts. 

It was really wonderful. We made some progress on our house, but what stands out to me is walking around the town, hand-in-hand, just enjoying the atmosphere. There was a classic car show going on, and though we aren't really car people, we appreciated the festive atmosphere. The weather was perfect, and we sat on the patio for lunch and just watched all the people walking by. We talked about plans, and about kids, and about us. We basked in the beauty of the location and wondered how we had gotten so lucky to find ourselves in this place. 

We spent the afternoon back at home to the sounds of kids playing with their friends. Our house is definitely a "hub" in the neighborhood, with people constantly coming and going, and we like it that way. Rachel left for a while to go on a long bike ride and I got some time in on my climbing wall. That evening, Rach and I went to the Broadway tour of "Chicago," which I was really excited about. I've never seen a live production of this classic, and it did not disappoint. Such a fun evening!

The next morning Lindsey acted super surprised when she came up the stairs and we were in the living room. "What are you doing here?" We responded that we live here, so it was a pretty normal place to find us. "Yes, but I thought you were going to Chicago." She seemed genuinely confused and we had a good laugh.

*****

Sunday, of course, was Mother's day. We started out pretty low-key, had a nice breakfast out, and then went to the store to buy new bikes for whoever needed them. From there, it was a short drive to a trailhead and a full afternoon of easy riding along the river. We brought a picnic lunch and spent a good portion of the time just playing in the water along the path. Like with the day before, the weather was perfectly cooperative, the prevailing mood was jovial, and the time spent together was priceless.

When we returned home we had a nice evening in the yard with grilled food and a nice sunset. What a day. What a weekend!



Good moms explore creepy old abandoned houses with their kids






Rachel and the bunny in the backyard, enjoying the ending of a beautiful day.

*****

I usually have Mondays mostly to myself. Rach and I will eat breakfast together, and then she is off to work and the kids are off to school. Sometimes I use the day to ski or climb with friends. Sometimes I'm very productive and get a bunch of projects done. Sometimes, though, it is nice to just relax. Yesterday I did some yardwork and set out our patio furniture, and then spent a long while in the shade of our lower deck just reading my book. Our little garden is coming in nicely and provided a nice setting to enjoy the day. Later I would climb on my wall, do a quick workout, and get the house all tidy for when Rach came home. Most of the day though, was just a quiet time of rest and contemplation. It's a good season for us right now. 

Have a good week!


No comments:

Post a Comment