Sunday, September 1, 2019

This week the kids are all getting ready for school to start and it has been pretty busy. Evelyn is going into middle school and at her orientation I couldn't help but feel like I am losing a part of my quirky, fun, cool, little-girl Evelyn. It is bittersweet in a way, and I feel sappy as I wipe the proverbial tear from my eye while thinking "my little girl is growing up." That's how I feel though.

The other kids all had their orientations too, though it was nothing new to us. We are old hands at the elementary school thing, and we are already good friends with all their teachers, as well as the rest of the entire school. That's what happens when you have five kids, I guess. And when you are the dentist for half the school. And when you (Rachel) are in the school helping out at least once a week. In a way it feels like a homecoming, and it was nice. 

The kids, meanwhile, have been busy picking out school supplies, keeping up on the latest back-to-school fashions, and trying their best to squeeze every last drop out of their summer vacation. It has been a great one.

Playing with friends at the swimmin' hole. This is what childhood is all about.

*****

Because of all the back-to-school preparations, I have not had a chance to get on here and write about one of the best climbing trips I have ever been on. It started when we drove down to my parent's home over the weekend to spend a nice day with them hiking around in the mountains near their home.
Walking across a shallow section of the Snake river. That water was colder than it looks!

We were eating lunch by the water and watching the fish swimming around next to our rock. Suddenly Jackson starts yelling "I caught one! I caught one!" We looked over and sure enough, he had just reached his hands into the water and come up with the beautiful rainbow trout! Who needs a fishing pole when you have a Jack? Crazy.

That night, Rach and I set off for the trailhead where we would start early the next day to do Irene's Arete- a classic line in the Tetons that has been on my bucket list since high school. And man oh man, was it a classic. This route had everything. Perfect cracks, interesting face climbing (a large portion of the route has you climbing up a series of quartz crystals!!!), breathtaking exposure, committing moves, and comfortable belays. What more could you ask for? All of this was made even better by the fact that my climbing partner was also my favorite person in the world, as well as by the 50mph wind gusts trying to blow us off the mountain- man it was wild! Seriously, I have done a lot of climbing and it doesn't get better than this- especially at such a moderate grade. I dare say it was a perfect day- and those don't come around a whole lot. These memories will live on for a long time.




*****

Also, as a last summer hurrah, Jackson and I spent most of the day yesterday at triple play. We were actually on our way up to Silverwood when we both realized that we didn't really like Silverwood that much, so we turned the car around and had a great time on the ropes course, playing lazer tag, bowling, driving go-karts, climbing on the wall, and playing in the arcade. Jack is a cool kid to hang out with.


Have a good week!

1 comment:

  1. Great times. I love the coffee pot rapids trail. It's easy, and always pretty. Too bad we didn't see a moose this time. We usually do. I love being the grandpa!

    ReplyDelete