Tuesday, September 17, 2019

I just got into work this morning and realized that a lot has happened since we last posted on here. The main thing, probably, is that school started. With Lindsey going into kindergarten, it means that all of our kids are in school, sometimes for the full day, and this translates to a lot of added free time for Rachel and me. She is able to work more (not by necessity- that is just how she chooses to use her free time because she likes her job), we have more time to hang out together, and I can pursue some of my own hobbies to a greater degree. It's nice.

Later this week we will do an update on each kid, with back to school pictures and everything. For today, however, I want to focus on the weekends.

*****

Park Dates:

It has been tradition for us to take one day out of the Summer for each child to go one-on-one with one of us to Silverwood theme park. These have been fun days, and it's nice to be able to focus all the attention on just one child for a while. This year, some kids decided to do Triple Play- a different park- instead, but the concept was the same. Since our last post, Maren and Addy have had their days and it's been a good time.





*****

Birthdays:

Adalie and Jackson are ten! Crazy. These are two of the coolest kids I know, and also probably the two most different (from each other) out of all of our kids. Because we have been busy with other things, their parties have been put on hold for a while. We will update things a little later. For now, let's just give a big shout out to this dynamic duo.


*****

Climbing in Utah:

I just got back last night from a great climbing trip in Utah with my cousin, Jon. We did a route called Arm and Hammer, which is one of the best in the entire Wasatch mountain range. The standout feature is this flake that splits an otherwise clean face of granite. Rock climbers will appreciate this picture. For others, it's just a rock:


The flake is four pitches up and splits the blank face that is right above my head in this picture.
Part of the climb that most climbers do is a pendulum (basically, swinging on the rope) from the large dihedral on the right in order to get onto the face. This is probably how the climb is done 95%+ of the time. I was pretty stoked then, when I was able to do these moves free (not relying on the rope) instead on very thin friction. It goes at 11c, which is a grade I am proud of given that I have virtually zero experience doing friction stuff. Here is my celebratory photo:


Overall, it was a great route- a great day- and a great time with Jon who I haven't climbed with in a long time. That night we had a nice bbq back with his family where I also got to catch up with Jordan and Kate (more cousins).

On Sunday I was able to drive up to see Griffin, and we did a little hike, along with his kids and Troy's family (yet another cousin). On Monday Jon and I climbed some more in the gym, and then I was back on a plane to start the work week. It was a short trip, but completely worth it and something that I am sure we will do again.



Have a good week!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great trip to Utah. Back to school time is always a new beginning for the kids. I'm proud of all your kids. And, I'm proud of you and Rachel. Climb on!!

    ReplyDelete