Monday, April 2, 2018

 In one hour, Rachel and the kids are getting home. It is hard for me to express how excited I am. See, for the past week, I have been living life sans family, and it has really hit home how much I like having them all around. Sure, we're a big, loud family. The kids are constantly bickering and breaking things. Our home is rarely clean. Silence is a privileged state of being that I only get to enjoy between the hours of 5 and 6 in the morning.

At the same time, we get to all share life together. We play games and work around the house and go places and talk about stuff. On weekends it is customary to do something outside- some kind of outing. A road trip maybe? A hike? It doesn't really matter.

I've got to admit, it was sort of nice being alone for a bit. I skied five days last week. I went rock climbing with friends. I went out and enjoyed live music. I finished two books. I climbed a mountain...almost.  I watched so many movies that I think my internet streaming bill this month might rival my mortgage. It was all very...indulgent.

But all of this, in spite of the good times and personal freedom, is nothing compared to reading my kids a bedtime story. Right now we're reading one about a dog.

"One more chapter!"
"Will you guys go right to bed when I finish?"
"Yeah. We promise!"
"Yeah right. Ok. Just one more chapter..."

This dialogue has become just as much a part of our nightly ritual as brushing teeth and getting bedtime drinks. And I love it.

*****

I guess I should say where my family has been all week. It was spring break and all the kids were out of school. On a sort-of impulsive move, Rachel decided that she would use the opportunity for a road-trip to Las Vegas to visit her sister. I think they had a good time. I'll let Rachel tell that story next week.

For now, I'll share some pictures of my week.


Lots of skiing. Got to get the days in before all the snow melts!

It's a nice time of year. While there is snow in the mountains, the weather in town is warm enough for rock climbing.

I visited the Center of the Universe in Wallace. I always get a kick out of the Mayor making this "official" after a dispute over the EPA's stance that "if a thing cannot be disproven it is thereby proven." About a half block from here is one of the coolest little cafes that I have ever visited.

Here's me about to embark on my climb of Steven's Peak.

After wallowing four miles uphill in knee-deep snow (seriously), I finally arrived at my destination, only to find this. A huge overhanging cornice right above my route. It was supposed to be 45 degrees that day. I wasn't that bold. The four mile trek back to the car was less than satisfying.
*****

Before the kids all left, we went on a family hike. Good times.

They really like these two-way radios (and the freedom that they allow)

A bridge! Let's act out the story about the goats and the troll! 
Lindsey got a little bit cold. Evelyn was a good sister to let her use her coat. Look at the way Lindsey is looking up to her. I love it!

A couple of posed group shots. The kids made me promise to include these in the Hazard Chronicles.
*****

Here's a nice story. First a little background: After services at our church, it is common for all the members to meet in the gym for coffee and donuts. I'll be honest, the freedom of a large space mixed with free donuts can sometimes lead to a generalized lack of decorum for some of the kids.

Well, I was alone this week and I told the older kids to go ahead while I picked the younger ones out of Sunday school. When I got to the gym, the olders were missing. They were nowhere. I had no clue, and I assumed (based on past experience maybe?) they they were probably running around the church playing tag or hide-and-seek or something.

This is when one of the adults got my attention. "Your kids..." she began. I automatically started forming apologies in my mind. She continued though, "Your kids are so helpful. Tell them thank you so much!"

I looked over, and this is what I saw.


The three older kids had decided to put on aprons and help clear tables and clean the kitchen.

I sure love them.

*****

Speaking of...they just walked in the door. Let the noise begin!

1 comment:

  1. You are your mother's child. First, she too gets up early (5:00) to have some quiet time to herself. Even now, when it's only her and me. She also used to read you guys books and stories every night at bed time. I'm glad you are doing those two things.

    Of course the skiing and climbing you did not get from her. Five days of skiing in a week . . . that would wipe me out, but it sounds like fun. I'm glad you did the smart thing and turned back when confronted with the cornice at the top of Mt. Stevens. That was the right thing to do.

    The story of the kids at church didn't surprise me at all. They are great kids and always ready to help. Good for them!!

    ReplyDelete