Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Gray skies and cold rain. That's what we got in Post Falls last weekend. This sort of weather makes it difficult to get outside and do anything. Movies, museums, restaurants, and indoor swimming pools are the typical standby options in these cases. It seems like we've been doing a lot of that lately though.

This week was different. Because rain where we live means snow in the mountains! 

What a great day we had as a family. 




The kids have taken to skiing like they were born for it. In some ways I'm jealous. Kids pick up on things so quickly!

Lindsey is convinced that she is the best skiier on the mountain because she went down twice all by herself (no Mom or Dad to catch her if she fell).

Maren was extremely patient with herself and determined to get it, and by the end of the day she was skiing completely independent of any help or encouragement. In fact, we even "lost" her for a few minutes when she decided to jump on the big lift all on her own. That girl!

The three older kids didn't need much of anything and skied most of the day by themselves. Addy did manage to find a hill that was a little outside of her ability level though. That went poorly. Tears. Frustration. Oh, the frustration. And then optimism, because she can try it again next time.

Jackson decided to keep his coat zipped up after falling and getting snow pushed up into places he didn't even know he had. It made me cold just to look at him!

Evelyn was a great teacher- mostly to Maren- and it was fun to watch her own confidence grow as she was able to demonstrate her newfound skills to her younger siblings.

Like I said, it was a great day.

The one downside of bringing the whole family was that Rachel and I were with at least one kid the whole time. We brought long-distance radios so we could all split up pretty easily, but we were still limited in what we could do by the abilities of those we were skiing with. I'm sure this will change as they get older, and I am looking forward to next year when they will all be in classes for a few hours every time we go. 

Also, I had a chance on Monday to go up to the resort a second time, just by myself. What a beautiful day! While it is always fun to ski with friends and family, going alone makes it so that you can do what you want the whole time and I had fun exploring some of the more difficult terrain on the mountain. It almost makes me sad that winter is ending. 

Almost...but not quite.

Climbing, camping, biking, and boating are all just around the corner.

*****

As I read through the last couple of paragraphs, it makes me realize how rewarding the "physical activity" side of life is for me. I've been fortunate to enjoy exceptional health so far, and to have a body that seems to do whatever I ask of it. I was also blessed with a family, growing up, that put a high emphasis on living an active lifestyle. Most of my greatest memories up until now- the times when I see life as most beautiful- are in some way connected to these things. Backpacking, boating, biking, climbing, running, and rafting have all led to fun times, closer relationships, increased confidence, and a greater sense of fullness in my life. Also, I used a lot of commas in that sentence.

But seriously, I am so thankful that I have been able to enjoy these things. I hope to pass on the legacy to my own children. So far, I think we are doing a pretty good job.

*****

One other thing that I can't pass up mentioning this week is Maren's birthday party. I know her birthday was a full month ago, but other plans have pushed her party out all the way until this past weekend. She did a jungle theme, and everyone had a great time.


Here's the cake that Rach made. 




1 comment:

  1. Yay for family ski days. I remember those well. Great job on passing on the legacy of an active life style. I'm also glad you had some serious skiing time alone.

    ReplyDelete