Monday, December 21, 2015

Christmas Letter

This morning I decided that we should do a family Christmas letter. I figured I'd do it as a poem, just to make things a little more interesting. Here's the result. Enjoy!

-*-

I sit by the window and watch all the snow
And think of a time not too distant ago
When my mom wrote a letter, but also a poem
That gave a brief update of affairs in the home
And thinking of this, I had the ambition
To try and keep up this amusing tradition

Now, I’m not quite as good as my mother at this
So I hope you’ll forgive me if things don’t quite rhyme or keep time
Or fall nicely in line.
But here goes, I will try, if you will not dismiss
The honest attempts of poetic design

To start with I’ll talk about me, and I pray
You’ll forgive this brief egotistical bray
But the truth is that I’ve been doing quite good
In all areas where my interests have stood
From rock climbing, (this year I did five thirteen!)
To philosophy courses and Saint Augustine
Besides this, I play every week in a band
Lead electric guitar is the place where I stand
And as far as career goes, I’m gonna’ be honest
I’m a pretty good dentist, and now have my own office
This state of affairs represents a promotion
And I’ve got to admit, caused elated emotions
In short, things are good, in fact couldn’t be better
So I think it is time to move on in this letter

As for Rachel, who I will always hold dear
It was fun to look back this decennial year
On all of the wonderful times that we’ve had
While at the same time thanking my mom and my dad
For they offered to take all the kids on their own
So that Rachel and I could spend time all alone
At nighttime we stayed in a lakeside chateau
And by day found adventure in North Idaho
I surely got lucky with her as my wife
To have and to hold as we’re dancing through life.

Now I’m changing things up a little bit here
Because as I read this, it sounds to my ear
A bit too much “Seussian,” and I have to admit
That it makes me a little bit tired of it
So I think that I’ll bid the good doctor goodbye
And maybe give William Shakespere a try

So now we can turn back to Rachel again
Upon a new pastime, her fine tastes did alight
The objective, not easy, but worth all the pain
To experience life from the seat of a bike

She rides with a passion unmatched by her foes
With the wind in her hair, her legs turning sore
But ever upward and onward she goes
Racing at times fifty miles, or more

In her career too, she's held high in esteem
And she’s gotten to work in some prominent venues
Because of her skill, opportunities gleam
She interprets her way to Alaska, by cruise

And now on to Evelyn, the eldest of kin
She’s tall for her age, with more wit
She lives in a world of books and of pens
And is smarter than she will admit

She is also an artist, and lives with the aim
To work in a studio when ere’ chance arrives
Art camp even gave her a chance at acclaim
At least among other young children her size

As for Addy, she is second to none
When cuddles are high in demand
And I can be sure that she’ll be the one
When I want to hold somebody’s hand

She’s learning to read and does well in school
With her teachers she’s surely a star
Her shortcomings, few, her faults miniscule
I have no doubt that she’ll go far

As I write I am feeling myself getting tired
And words are escaping my mind
I can’t keep the structure much more that’s required
So I’ll switch to limerickian rhyme

So next up is Jackson, my guy
Who many mistake for small fry
But put him in the game
And watch people exclaim
He’s one to exemplify

‘Cause Jack just knows that he’s good
Confidence runs in his blood
Persistence and grit
Are the traits he transmits
Especially when misunderstood

Basketball is becoming his sport
Even though he’s really quite short
His foot-shuffling trademark
Is the talk of the ballpark
But it doesn’t change skill on the court

This limerick stuff gets old fast
I need to rethink my attack
When it comes to good taste
Robert Frost is a case
Who’s rhyming schemes go unsurpassed

My Maren, little fire child
One day sweet, the next day wild
But she knows how to win me o’er
With nothing but a simple smile

In preschool she has lots of friends
To whom her pleasantness extends
Adult and child alike, it’s true
That age, her loveliness transcends

And finally little Lindsey dear
Who says some words, but not too clear
She walks around the house and then
Lights up the room with childish cheer

And when a soft thing she doth spy
A blanket or pillow standing by
Bends at the hips and plants her face
Her need to cuddle gratified

So that’s a wrap, I won’t rewrite
This poem- I take preemptive right
To call the day, and expedite
The process for a copyright.

On second thought, I’ll be polite

Merry Christmas to all
And to all a good night.

2 comments:

  1. Clever writing. I bet that took awhile to write. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever writing. I bet that took awhile to write. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete