Thursday, December 17, 2015

Can I just say I am looking forward to a small break next week?

As a kid, I remember all the grown-ups talking about how busy the holiday season could get. I never quite understood this. Busy? Why on earth would you be busy? It's just a great time to relax and enjoy family and big meals and parties and open presents and play and stuff, right? Well, it turns out that someone was actually in charge of organizing all those things. It also turns out that the house doesn't magically clean up after itself when these things are over.

Who knew?

On top of all the holiday stuff, work has been really busy and I rarely get a chance to sit down during the day by myself. Lately, I have been seeing more patients in a single day than I am used to seeing in any given week. We have also had at least one social engagement every day since last Wednesday. This is all really good for now and I'm glad that so much is happening in so many different areas, but it's also demanding. Between work and home I do not think it is a lifestyle I could sustain for the long term. I am looking forward to being able to just sit and read a book with my kids without thoughts running through my head of how I can expedite their bedtime so that I can finish up with the daily chores.

Thankfully, we are almost there. We have gone to all the parties. We have wrapped most of the presents. We have spent all our money (not really, but it seems like it). And we have had a lot of fun doing these things. But now it is time to just breathe a huge sigh of relief, cuddle up under a blanket with a warm cup of hot chocolate, turn on some classic Bing Crosby, and wait for Christmas to arrive.

Oh, how I love this season.



Setting up the tree was a little more difficult than we thought.

Sorry for the dark picture. This was a gingerbread house party that Rachel did at our home.

Boxes, boxes, and more boxes. We did most of our shopping online this year. I think we are up to around 20 door deliveries to our house in just the last week and a half.
This is a preview of a project Rachel has been working on. She has more patience than I do.
This was really sweet. With the dry winter weather, Maren's eczema has really flared up. When I went down to kiss her goodnight a few days ago, she was already asleep. This note from Evelyn was under her arm though. Nobody asked her to write it or even expected her to notice Maren's hardships. She is so thoughtful.

Dear Maren,
I love you. You are a good sister! I hope you get well soon. You are cute. I know about your legs. I know they are painful. I hope they get well soon!
-Evelyn


Well...that's all we've got. Unfortunately we didn't take many pictures of all the stuff we did. I guess you just had to be there.

Have a great week!

1 comment: