Tuesday, September 2, 2014


Okay. It's been a few months. A lot has happened. We had a baby. We had visits from family. We visited family. We had summer vacation, complete with classes/camps for the kids. It's been wild and crazy and wonderful.

But I'm not here to write about any of that. Nope. Instead, I am simply going to start where we are, and do an update for this week only. After all, now that school has started, we can all start falling back into a steady routine. In the upcoming days and weeks Rachel has vowed that she will get on here and fill in the substantial gaps that we left over the summer, so you can probably be looking forward to that if you have been missing our amazing blog posts (as I'm sure everyone has).

So...This week was really good. It was the last week of our Summer vacation, and it did not disappoint.

The week started out with an amazing sunset dinner on the deck on Sunday night after the kids went to bed, provided by...me. I know- I am very romantic. We even had speakers with soft bossa nova music in the background. A very nice way to start the week.




Toward the end of the week, we headed up to Farragut State Park for a day hike and relaxation.

"Is not life a hundred times too short for us to bore ourselves?"  -Friedrich Nietzsche
We definitely are not bored around here!

A park that held their attention for about two minutes until they discovered a trail and started exploring. I love our family.

Here is the trail they started exploring. They named it the "Autumn Trail" since it had so many different kinds of leaves on it.
We eventually ended up walking down to the water, and the kids found random logs that they tried floating on. This one didn't work so well :)



I love where we live!


It was so nice that we decided, with the 3-day-weekend and all, to go camping. I have to say, I have no idea why we have not explored this place more since we moved here. It is a half hour away and is seriously one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. The views of the lake were breathtaking, and the weather is just barely starting to change to that crisp Autumn feel that I love so much. In short, it was a really, really good weekend.

Our campsite.

Another trail they discovered. Also, Jackson wanted me to point out his flag that he found.


Today, Evelyn had her first day of school. I am so amazed that we have a first grader in our family. When did that happen?! Evelyn took me to her classroom and showed me all around. It is especially exciting since she also gets to go to a whole new school. Her teacher is very nice, and Evelyn is happy for the school year to start. In the car this morning she said that she felt a little bit nervous because she didn't know where to go or how to act in a new situation, but that she also felt excited and happy to see her friends again. I wasn't worried at all. Academically, she is more than ready, and I was proud to watch her run out onto the playground and reunite with her friends from last year who she hasn't seen all summer. I am so proud of my little girl.



This picture was taken about two weeks ago. Evelyn wanted to see how to wear a cardigan, so we looked at pictures of cardigans on the internet. Then she decided that she wanted a picture of her on the internet wearing a cardigan, so other kids could look and know how it should be done. So...here she is.Very sophisticated :)


Well, that's about it. I hope everyone has a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog. Your weekend camping looks really fun. Glad you got to do that. And . . . I can't believe I have a granddaughter in first grade, but I know she'll do great. I love being her grandpa! You do live in a nice place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun camping trip! It was fun to see all the pictures, but are sure that tall girl in the cardigan and high heeled boots is our little Evelyn? She's growing up too fast! What a cutie! So glad that Jack and Addy are having fun at their new school. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete