Sunday, September 7, 2014

Lindsey's Arrival

Our Hazard family is now complete, and it is finally time to write about it. (This is a retrospective blog about Lindsey's birth- please scroll down for a blog about this week).

Lindsey Kaylin Hazard made her grand entrance into this world on July 3, 2014.  Nancy and Greg arrived the night before to take care of our other littles while Lindsey made her debut. On Thursday Logan and I drove to the hospital, checked in, and had a few minutes to ourselves before being taken in for the c-section.  

Lindsey's birth (from my vantage point) was the easiest and smoothest of the four.  I was completely relaxed, I knew what to expect, and I felt as ready as I was ever going to be.  The doctor made the initial incision and I heard an audible gasp from the doctor and the assisting nurses.  They all started talking at once and it soon became apparent that my uterus was in pretty bad shape.  I later found out that when the incision was opened little Lindsey's face was peeking out through my uterus.  Logan told me that it looked like she was surrounded by what appeared to be a plastic wrap coating.  Yes. That was my uterus.  The doctor expressed that he was very happy to hear we had planned on this being our final pregnancy.  I told him about my mom and how her uterus had been tissue paper thin when I was born (my brother and I are 10 1/2 months apart).  The doctor responded, "Yours was thinner."  Wow. I am grateful that both of us are safe and healthy!

She was born weighing 7 lbs. 4 oz. and was 20.75 inches long.  This was my first birth where I thought up a 'birth plan.'  I think it is pretty crazy to have extensive expectations, but I did have a few things I thought would be nice.  I think I was pretty easy going.  My plan was as follows:

1. Please hold Lindsey up for a second after she is born so that I can get a quick peek, but if she needs quick attention don't worry about it! Do what you need to do. I didn't get to see Evelyn because she was in distress (much later I found out she was very blue when she was born and needed immediate assistance), or Jack because he needed quick attention as well.

2. I would love to hold Lindsey, if possible, while the c-section was being finished up.

3. Please snap at least one picture.

I mentioned these at the beginning and we were able to do all three! My favorite part was cuddling with her while the c-section was completed.  This is generally my least favorite part of the experience, but I quite enjoyed it this time around.

I spent a few short days in the hospital recovering and spending sweet quiet moments with Lindsey.  I had a few things I wanted to do while at the hosptial (write this blog entry for one thing), but toward the end of my stay I realized that my brain was in a kind of mental fog and I wasn't completely there.  It was strange to come out of it and recognize that it had been there because I couldn't tell at the time. 

Here are some highlights of the week with Nancy and Greg, and the week with my mom.


  • Really easy recovery.  I hardly even needed Ibuprophen after I left the hospital.
  • I enjoyed a lot of quiet moments to myself, and sweet moments with Lindsey when family was here taking care of the kids and the house.
  • One night I woke up and panicked because I could tell I felt refreshed, and I thought I had slept too long and something was wrong with Lindsey!  It made me realize that it had been a long time since I felt rejuvenated after sleep.
  • Nancy and Greg came the day before Lindsey arrived and stayed for ten enjoyable days.
  • My mom came the next Monday and stayed for seven fun days.
  • Our family had seven days to ourselves to adjust before going to Rexburg for Allison and Clayson's wedding and staying there for 10 days.  
  • We are now home and settling into our new normal.
I have many photos that will have to wait for a photo dump blog.  This blog just needs to get published.


1 comment:

  1. So glad we could be part of that time. We miss your cute kiddos!

    ReplyDelete