Sunday, October 20, 2013

Rachel's Week

This week was all about me. That does not happen very often, and I fully enjoyed it.

Before I get to my week I have a confession to make...

I. Like. Shopping.

I have never really liked shopping. It was a chore to be done and, due to my tendency to be picky, can last a LONG time. Recently I have discovered the art of accessorizing.  I enjoy scarfs, cute layers, and even a necklace here and there. Luckily (I think) I am still really selective in what I will buy. 

'My' first night was on Wednesday.  I had an itch to get out of the house and have some 'me' time.  I have been looking for a new skirt or dress and I wanted to go shopping. By myself. Alone. Without children. Logan easily agreed. During dinner he announced that him and the kids were going to have a 'Papa Night!' Evelyn immediately asked me to leave and inquired if they could have a fish Papa night.  Did I mention that I have a wonderful husband? 

Anyway. I was able to go on a quiet drive into Coeur d'Alene and browse through some of my favorite stores.  I didn't buy anything, but that is typical. At the end of the night I felt completely better.  

Another 'me' night was actually a Ladies Night Out!  I have a few friends out here, but I have been struggling to meet new people and actually have time to get to know them.  Six of us went to a local Mexican restaurant and chatted for almost three hours.  Again, Logan was home having an excellent 'Papa Night' with the kids.  His night involved playing hide and seek in the dark, making treats, and having a papa movie night.  Did I mention that I have a wonderful husband???

Every Friday morning is Papa library morning. Did I mention that I have a wonderful husband?  He takes all four kids to the hour long library story/craft/snack time while I have some time to devote to keeping up my interpreting skills (or whatever else I feel like doing).  

Logan and I had a date that began on Friday afternoon at 2 and ended at 9 that night.  We planned on going rock climbing in the afternoon, but after searching we couldn't find our climbing gear.  We decided to go biking on a trail we found in Liberty Lake instead of climbing.  As we were loading the bikes we remembered that the climbing stuff was all in the shop because Logan had been out with the kids on our climbing wall. We decided to continue with our plan to go bike riding.

I have always wondered what enjoyment people could find with mountain biking uphill. Little did I know that I was about to find out...

We took the bikes out and began our 3.5 mile ride to the waterfall.  We have done the very beginning of this hike with our kids and the trail was really mellow.  I did not realize that it quickly became an uphill climb for the duration of the hike.  

After some deep breathing, shaky legs, and sheer determination I made it to the top!  I was pretty proud of myself.  Also, I must mention that the ride back down was absolutely exhillarating.  There was no one on the trail and we could go as fast as we wanted.  I will admit that Logan went faster than me, but I impressed myself with my speed.

We arrived home around 5 and each of us showered.  At six our babysitter Anna showed up.  Logan and I went to Outback Steakhouse for our monthly Heartwood meeting.  I enjoy these meetings and this one was unique because it was our first 'yearly' meeting.  We have officially been open for a year!

Instead of buying dessert at the restaurant we went shopping for ice cream and brownies.  We continued our date at home with brownie sundaes and Star Wars Episode II (We are in the middle of watching the series).

What an amazing day!  But my 'me' week did not end there.

On Saturday morning I woke up and got ready to leave from 9-2.  It was Super Saturday for our ward. This is when mass amounts of women get together and do crafts that they had signed up for ahead of time.  Each craft has someone in charge to teach people how to make it. We talk. We eat lunch. We craft. This is my kind of event.

Today we went to church and the speakers did not show up.  Logan sent Evelyn on a secret mission to give a note to the bishop. Logan was the impromptu speaker and he did a fabulous job. Did I mention that I have a wonderful husband?

The cherry on top for this week was the fact that all four kids were perfectly well behaved through ALL of Sacrament Meeting.  What a fabulous way to end the week. 

Here are some pictures of this week and last week.
I love family night!  This is our idea of family night treats (donut holes on a string). It is also another way for us to create humor in our lives. 

I think it is time to invest in a second bike trailer.  Adalie is sittin' pretty in a bike seat on the other bike. 

Eskimo Adalie




Exploring buddies


Proof that I can, in fact, ride a bike. Unfortunately we could not get the camera to work in order to show proof of the fact that my wonderful husband was there as well.



2 comments:

  1. I can't think of anyone who deserves a "me" week more than you, Rachel, and I'm so glad you got one! I bet the bike ride was beautiful with all the fall colors up there. Yes, you have a wonderful husband! You two are so great together and I love to read about your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your week sounds wonderful. You deserve it. I am so glad you have a husband that wants to play with his children. A little shopping and time with friends goes a long way into making a happier mommy and wife. Nice job on the bike!

    ReplyDelete