Sunday, January 27, 2013

Saturday morning Logan and I were up early doing our morning routines when Evelyn woke up and came to sit nearby.  Logan looked up to see tears streaming down Evelyn's face.  He immediately hugged her and asked her what was wrong.  She looked him right in the eye and said, "I don't want to die.  I don't want you or mom to die." Then, she continued to sob.  Wow.  Logan and Evelyn talked for a while and had a good conversation about life.  She has also been very concerned about death and what happens after we die.

Later that night I was tucking Evelyn in bed and she asked me, "Mom, can we see heaven?" This question spurred a long conversation about why Jesus came to earth and about his Plan of Happiness.  We talked a lot about happiness and how his plan was made especially for us.  I just wanted to record some of the questions and insights that she had during this conversation  I was very impressed with how she put her knowledge and ideas together to form 'logical' conclusions.  

We talked a lot about what happens after you die. We talked about being together with our families and with our husbands and wives.  She asked me if Grandpa Kelly would be there waiting for her.  I told her that even though we can not see Grandpa Kelly that he was there with her and that I had felt him with me.  She loved that.

Here are a few highlights of the conversation
  • She asked me if one of our older friends in the ward would be going to heaven soon.
  • She asked if their was a stairway that we climbed up to heaven.
  • "Will we be lifted into heaven on a bed?" This was an interesting question to me because it showed her trying to figure out how we stand up after we die.
  • "Do we go to the sun, moon and stars?"
  • "Is heaven in outer space?"  And the follow up question was "It is cold in outer space.  Is it super cold in heaven?"
  • "Is Abinadi in heaven?"
Then she started to ask me questions about her baptism when she turns eight.  She asked me about the special white clothing, getting water in her eyes, and a few more.  Then she asked me why Jesus had to be baptized.  We had a good discussion about His amazing example for us.  

By this time Logan was involved in the conversation.

Now for my favorite part of the whole night.  She paused for a long time and you could tell that she was really thinking hard.  She asked, "Can I ask you a question about the Magic School bus?"  Then she said, "I have been thinking about the picture of when Ms. Frizzle goes into Keisha's heart. I looked, but I couldn't see the Holy Ghost inside of her heart." 

Logan fielded this question.  He asked a follow up question, "What does happiness look like?  How do you know when you are feeling happy?"  Then, he explained that we talk about the Holy Ghost being in your heart because hearts are related to love, but really you can feel the Holy Ghost through your entire body.  It is a wonderful feeling that feels kind of like happiness.  You can not see the Holy Ghost, but you know he is there because you can feel him.  

I am so proud of Evelyn.  She is growing up and learning SO much.  I am constantly amazed at what she knows and the critical thinking skills she demonstrates by putting all of that information together.  She is such a special little girl!

I really enjoyed this conversation because it made me think about the gospel of Jesus Christ in a new way.  Evelyn is at the age where she is a very concrete thinker, and the way she puts things together is so simple. 

I just wanted to take a minute and write my feelings down about the gospel and the church. I know that this gospel is the true gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that God gave me my beautiful children, and that he trusts me with them.  I know that He created an amazing plan of happiness that allows me to live with my family forever.  I know that He knows who I am and that He loves me dearly.  I have felt the promptings of the Holy Ghost many times in my life and this strengthens my testimony to the point that I can not doubt what I know and have felt.  I have been blessed in too many ways to number.  I love my family and I am so thankful for them everyday.  I love my life and the knowledge that I have of the gospel.  

I hope all of you have a wonderful week and I hope all of you know that God loves you.

5 comments:

  1. What a special post about an amazing little child of God. Thank you for being the kind of parents that are teaching your children the things that will bring them true happiness in this life, and the next. Thank you for your testimony, Rachel. All I can say is "Amen."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! She is such a sweet spirit!

    I too am so greatful for the knowledge I have gained of truth. I know that I'm here for a reason. That I need to continue to keep progressing, line upon line precept upon precept. I know we will continue to learn here and in the next life. If Jesus Christ is our rock we cannot fail.

    Thank you for sharing your testimony in this wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last comment was me, Meagan. I can't figure out how to get my name to show up. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy you and Logan are teaching your children in ways that Evelyn has the ability to even think of these wonderful questions.

    ReplyDelete