Sunday, January 20, 2013

Do you ever get the desire to go out and do something just for yourself?  Logan and I make sure we have date night almost every week, and we also try to find things that we can do together so that our lives are not so completely different.  I am sure that most of you know what I mean with that idea.  Anyway. This week we started a new venture with each other.  Friday was our first martial arts class together, and we have a babysitter lined up and so that we can go to class together every Friday afternoon. 

 Logan has wanted to begin a martial arts class for as long as I have known him.  Not because he thinks someone is going to attack him at any time, but mostly for the self awareness and fitness factors.  The two main problems that held him back were money and he thought that his class would be comprised mostly of fourteen year old boys.  

Things came together for us and we were able to find ways around both of these obstacles. We had a great time on Friday and both of us are very excited to get into this new sport.  We have been practicing a lot together and we are in a race to see who can become flexible the quickest!  

Also, I have wondered what our neighbors think of our new hobby. During the class we learned how to get out of a choke hold, and today we were standing in front of our kitchen window trying to figure out how we could escape of someone had his or her whole arm wrapped around our necks.  It probably didn't look very good to any onlookers.  They would have known everything was okay if they could see me laughing.  I am very ticklish on my neck!

Logan and I are also planning on starting a free online BYU course titled "Developing Self Reliant People."  We will be registering as soon as we have the materials ready.  We are excited for this course as well!

Speaking of taking classes together I have implemented a new idea with the kids.  I try to have one-on-one time with each of the kids one or two times a week.  This week I decided to give the time a little bit more purpose.  At the beginning of the week I asked the kids a subject they were interested in (Horses for Evelyn and Adalie, and dinosaurs for Jack), and we picked up books from the library on their chosen topic.  Our 'momma time' has been spent making games, reading books, and playing computer games to learn about these animals.  I have been having a lot of fun, and I think they enjoy it as well.

Today (Sunday) Jackson woke up and threw up all over himself and his bed.  Definitely not the best way to start the day.  He was his normal happy hyper self pretty soon afterward, but we knew that church was out of the question.  Logan and I decided that if we couldn't go to church we would bring primary to our house.  We decided on a 'Service and Loving Others' theme and proceeded to prepare sharing time and separate lessons to meet the ages of our kids.  The kids were great and I think all of us had a fun time.

These first pictures are from a few weeks ago when we went sledding at the nearby golf course. 
Maren was a great sport.  She is actually wide awake in this picture, and obviously resigned to her fate.  




The kids announced that they were a cake and Jack was the candle

These pictures will be great for blackmail when Jack gets older.  He and Adalie decided to switch pajamas. Jack was practicing his stance and his kicking.
Logan and I couldn't help thinking about the Mr. T speed walker commercial! If you haven't seen it you should look it up on Youtube.

Goodbye for now.  I am going to go over and check out the speed walker commercial.

2 comments:

  1. Another great week for you guys! It was so fun to skype you the other night. Glad Jack is feeling better. Did anyone else get it? We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why you live near a golf course. So you can sled in the winter!! Count me in on the flexibility challenge. I can almost touch my knees. Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete