Sunday, October 16, 2011

 Do you ever wonder what it is like eating breakfast at our house? Make a recording of a child saying "more syrup please" and have it repeat every 5 seconds. Now dump half of a carton of milk on the floor. Finally, spread a thin layer of syrup all over the kitchen table so that the entire surface resembles sticky fly paper. In case you haven't guessed yet, the entre is alway syrup. Sometimes we throw in sides such as pancakes, french toast, eggs, or waffles. And there you have it- breakfast at the Hazard's.

Last night we left the kids with a babysitter and we went to see Harry Potter at the discount theater. Also, we ate at Jack-in-the-box. I have three things to say about this date. First, it was great being out with my beautiful wife for some pleasant one-on-one time. We don't get that as much as we'd like. Second, the movie was pretty good, but for some reason it all seemed so new to me. I know I've read the book, but I guess I didn't remember ANYTHING from it. And third, I think I am addicted to Jack-in-the-Box. Seriously, this is the best restaruant ever. Sometimes I have daydreams about eating mini-churros.

Sidetrack- as I was writing this just now Addy made an impressive dive with perfect form from the couch and landed headfirst on the floor. Miraculously, she isn't crying too hard, but she does seem sort-of stunned. I am trying to supress laughter. -Un-Sidetrack.

We discovered a new place this week. It's called Huckleberry Hollow. It's at a local fitness club and it is open free to the public every afternoon. The best way I can describe Huckleberry Hollow is "Mcdonalds playland on steroids." Our kids love it. They played there for over an hour BY THEMSELVES, allowing Rachel and me to have an actual conversation (a rare event around here during the day).

Okay. I have a dilemma. I take Evelyn and Addy on "dates". That is sort of cute- you know the daddy-daughter date concept. But what do I call it when I take Jackson out for some one-on-one? A man date? (that feels weird to me). A guy's night? (even if it is during the day). A "father-son outing?" (that sounds dorky). I don't know. Anyway, we hung out this week- just him and me. I took him to Corban Park and let him explore. He loved the freedom and we chased squirrels, threw rocks in the river, and climbed on things. We also did some serious off-roading in our mini-van (but don't tell Rachel). He is my buddy and it was fun to be with him and get to know his cute little personality a little better. Also, more than any of my other kids, he seems to love, love, love being outdoors. I think we have a bright future together.

One more thing. Evelyn thinks she is the boss of the world and she throws a fit if her authority is not acknowledged and/or challenged. It drives me and Rachel crazy. She has been spending a lot of time in her room or being ignored this week.

Well, here are some pictures.







5 comments:

  1. The pictures of Jackson are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackson looks so grown up in those pictures. LIke a little boy even! What a fun date. I miss those guys so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call it "Man Time"...its a little better than a "bro date"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like "Man Time" too. "Hanging out" sounds like something you do when there's nothing else to do and you don't want to date. This from a man who watches college kids hang out on a daily basis. Whatever you call it . . . he sure is cute, and you're a great dad.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures. Looks like you two had a great time.

    ReplyDelete