Sunday, February 13, 2011

It seems like it has been a busy week. Like I said in the last blog, I was at the Cleveland Free Clinic again all week. I actually really enjoyed my time there and it has caused me to think a little bit about what their mission is and to appreciate that there are places like this to help people.

Also, it was NOT the laid-back week that I was expecting. I think I have seen as many patients in the last 5 days as I have in the previous month at the dental school. The biggest day was on Friday where I saw 18 people in 6 hours, did 34 extractions, and ran 3-5 chairs simultaneously. Contrast this with the dental school clinic where I see 2-3 patients per day (sometimes 4 if I am really ambitious). Working at the free clinic was a great chance for me to prove to myself that I was capable of much, much more work once the restraints of the dental school were removed, and it gives me hope that one day I might even be able to make some money doing this.

On Tuesday we dropped our kids off at the babysitters and went to South Pacific. I think I've mentioned it here before, but Rachel and I love going to plays. And it just so happens that Playhouse Square is the biggest theatre district outside of New York. So, you put two and two together and Rachel and I end up going to as many plays as we can. South Pacific was great and we had tons of fun making a big night of it.

And now for some sad news. Evelyn's good friend Isaac Bir moved away this week. Isaac was in Evelyn's pre-school class and he (and his parents) have spent a lot of time at our house. It was sad to see him go and Evelyn will miss him. It also makes me sad for her to think that in a few months we are moving away and she will probably never see some of her friends again. She is old enough to miss them and I think this move might be a little hard on her. It is truly a very tragic thing.

Actually, that sense of "finishing up" has really hit me lately. I applied for graduation this week and signed up for my last senior competency. By the end of this next week I will have finished all of my requirements (hopefully) for graduation and will have nothing to do but look to the future (and clinical boards). I can honestly say that I am looking forward what the future holds. I have been thinking a lot lately about what the next several steps will be in our lives and it seems like things are going to be very exciting.

It is still a little bit surreal to me that I will be done with school- After all, I have been a full-time student since I was 4 years old. I know how to be a student, and I think I do a darn good job at it (I've had enough time to perfect the skill of not going to class). This next move will literally be one of the biggest changes in my life. I know I need to "keep my head in the game" and "finnish strong" but these cliches don't really mean any thing to me anymore. I am anxious to move on, and the next few months just seem to be holding me back. It's just how I feel.

Evelyn's Pre-School Class

Evelyn and Isaac

A note that Isaac wrote to Evelyn. His mom said that he thought of this by himself.

Elle, Evelyn, Rachel, and Josh all making invitations for Evelyn's birthday party next week. She's going to be 3!
Here's a cute picture of Addy. It's good that I'm posting this right now to remind me of how cute this girl can be, because she is currently writhing on the floor in a pathetic, teary heap because she woke up from her nap too early. She also woke up Jackson who is screaming like the world is coming to an end. I love my children, I love my children, I love my children, I love my children...


Jackson has been REALLY cute lately.

Me and Rachel at the Theatre.

3 comments:

  1. All of you have made friends you will hate to leave. You have been blessed.

    Logan, it sounds like you are up to the challenge...of course we knew that.

    I love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost taste your anxousness to move on. You will have many good memories to take with you.

    Love,
    Dad (Greg)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me sad to think of Evelyn leaving her friends. She is so cute though, that she will make lots of new ones at her new house. Can't wait to see where that might be! I know you can't wait either.

    ReplyDelete