Sunday, April 19, 2009

March

This is a post summarizing this last month. This week's post actually ended up under this one. Make sure you check it out too!

Spring Break- We decided to drive to Washington D.C. and spend a few days touring the sites. As we pulled off the exit we recieved the phone call from my mom informing us that my daddy had been in an accident. We found tickets to SLC from Washington. We were blessed to be there because tickets were only $109 for a next day flight. If we had been in Cleveland they were $400 each! That night was our first campout of the season! Evelyn is a natural born camper, and she had a great time! We have some pictures of our adventures below.

Evelyn is also, thankfully, a natural born traveller. We bought her car seat on Tuesday at 10:30 and left for Washington at 11:00. From 11:00 Tuesday until 7:00 Wednesday night Evelyn was in that car seat 99% of the time. She even slept in it in the tent! During all of the driving and flying on Wednesday we never heard so much as a grumpy peep out of her. She smiled and giggled and made a lot of friends!

After we arrived in SLC we went strait to the hospital. The hospital staff was amazing and they helped us in countless ways. We could never thank them enough. We were given a conference room for our family to use for as long as we needed it. We had so many people show up that we packed the room and flooded into the halls. The nerologist was very kind. He came in and explained how to read cat scans, then he explain my dad's situation, and finally he took as long as was needed to answer all of our questions. He was shocked at how many people had come (we had about 35). That evening he volunteered to do his presentation again (this time there were about 60 people). I want to thank everyone that came and supported our family.

I stayed in Utah for almost a month. I took a short trip to Rexburg to visit Logan's family for a few days. I had a great visit with them, and Evelyn had fun too!

When I returned to Utah, I worked endlessly on a book I created for my dad. I included 6 sections; the first was a section full of memories that I had his brothers and sisters, mother, my mom, and all of my siblings write. There are thirty pages of stories about my dad from many different perspectives. The second section consisted of priesthood blessings that each member of my family recieved (these blessings were a great comfort to us and had a lot of amazing information for our family), the second part of this section was a journal from the day my daddy passed away. The next section was my dad's graduation (his funeral). Graduation is when you successfully complete a course of study and move up. I typed up the entire ceremony. The next section is a story that was written by a member of my dad's writing group. It is from the perspective of his guardian angel. The final section consists of memories people wrote in the journal at the hospital, memories from the memory cards that people wrote at the funeral, and memories contributed by e-mail. The book also consisted of sections of pictures. I am so glad that I have this book. I loved making it, and I am excited to share it with my children.

I miss my daddy. The day that he passed away was one of the most spiritual days of my life. I know that my daddy is here with me. The veil is thin and I know he will be with me and my family. He is playing with my kids right now. I will see him again.



Dinner time at the camp site! Hooray for ramen noodles! Evelyn loved them. Is anyone surprised?


Good morning! What a great morning face. Here is Eva, bundled and in her car seat.





This is a picture of Evelyn in a pair of my daddy's shoes. Dad wore a size 18 shoe! I wonder if any of our kids will ever fit those? Hopefully not Eva!

Eva loves to stack and to play the 'in and out' game. She used her shoes to show off the size comparison!

In Rexburg I got to know Ashland a little bit better (Griffin's girlfriend).

Remember to look at the next post as well.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, I'm so happy that you will have the amazing book you compiled to remind you of your dear father whenever you miss him the most. You seem so at peace despite this tragedy in your life and I am so happy that the Lord is blessing you with His spirit of comfort and understanding. May He always coninute to do so.

    ReplyDelete