Monday, March 4, 2024

"I like you quite a bit."

That was maybe the first way that Rachel and I said "I love you" to each other without actually saying the words. And now, even though it's been about twenty years since we met, I still find myself saying the words on a regular basis. I know that all relationships are a little bit different and special in their own way, but I am just really glad that Rach and I are still so much "in like" with each other. Like, I think we really enjoy each other's company. We enjoy a lot of the same things and we do a ton of stuff together. When we hang out it still feels like we are just two college kids trying to make the most out of the short time we have together- running up to rock canyon between classes, catching a quick bite before a busy day, reading out loud in the evenings from classic works of fiction, or going to every school dance and football game that there is, partying the whole time in the best way we know how. That hasn't changed- and I love it. 

Eventually, "like" transformed into something much more profound and durable. But it didn't disappear. "Like" is still very much alive and well in our relationship. And though the time we have together is a little bit longer now than a single summer on a college campus, it still doesn't feel like enough. We still take advantage of all the moments, do all the things, and share all the feels along the way. As sappy as it sounds, we're still pretty much best friends. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. I think it's cool.

Have a good week!

This was really fun. The resort hosted a "retro ski-bum prom night." After dropping the kids off in Wallace we went back and skied a few runs under the lights before heading in to dance the night away with good food, fun company, and live music.

If you look closely you can see Addy on the ridge. You can also see blue skies, crystal clear air, and the tracked powder of one of the best days of the year. I feel like at Snowbird a couple of weeks ago something clicked for a lot of us and our skiing leveled-up another notch. That, combined with the continuous steeps at Silver and the ideal weather had us taking up huge chunks of the mountain with every turn, just flying with exuberance. What a weekend!   

Reel Rock. I look forward to this event every year and it never disappoints. It's a bunch of climbers just getting together for a big party before settling down (barely) to watching climbing movies and bask in the culture of a sport. It's a good time. 

The whole family went to see the Spongebob Musical, but this picture of Addy and Jace is the only photographic evidence we have of the night. Though I don't think I'll see it again, I do have to admit that the show exceeded my (low) expectations by quite a bit. It was fun and entertaining, and mildly insightful in the shallow sort of way that one might expect from the title. Overall- I'm glad we went.

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment