Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Last week I wrote about how mellow Christmas had become, and I have to say that this year was lovely. The presents were smaller, the words were gentler, and the overall volume was tuned down to just the right setting to really enjoy the season. I did have moments, I will admit, when I missed the whimsical "magic" that young kids bring to the occasion. Though these moments were fleeting, they really accentuated to me the fact that we are growing up as a family. Santa was conspicuously absent in most of our celebrations, and our little elf, Widget, didn't move around very much. We didn't chop down a tree, or put lights on the house, and the talk of presents was much abbreviated compared years gone by. That said, I wouldn't in a hundred years want to trade back the warmth and peace of this season for the frivolity that has so characterized the past. Sitting around a dimly lit tree, sipping hot cider with our cinnamon rolls, and allowing each person in turn to pass out their small-but-thoughtful gifts has allowed for an effulgence to set in that was realized this year more than maybe any other in my entire life. It was Christmas as it should be. Full of family. Full of joy. Just...full.

Have a good week!







2 comments:

  1. Yes Christmas!! Love celebrating Christ’s birth at any age. Loved your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post was from Grandma

    ReplyDelete