Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Man, I don't even know where to start this week. Last night, Rachel and I were walking around at the Idaho State Fair. Evelyn and her band would be on stage in about an hour, and our kids were off entertaining themselves. It was a nice intermission in what felt like an extremely busy and "good stressful" time in our lives. There have been a few things this week that will probably cause shockwaves in our family for years- all in a good way, hopefully- but it will be nice to move past them as summertime winds down to a close. Also, I am going to purposefully omit a few items from this post, both to leave breathing room for other things as well as to allow events to run their course over the next several weeks.


Anyway, let's get started:

On Tuesday, Rachel and I took a drive up to Wallace. It's an old mining town that has been in the midst of major transformation in the past several years, and is poised for even more change down the road. Situated right in between two ski resorts, it has an artsy feel to the downtown area and it was fun to walk around and discover some of the restaurants and shops. We didn't take any photos or anything, but I just wanted to make sure this date-night was mentioned in this post. It was a nice evening.

Moving on, we had a big get-together with my work on Friday night. We all got a box together at a minor-league baseball game and just hung out with good food and good company. Also, I think there was a game going on in the background, but I couldn't tell you for sure who won without looking it up on the internet. Mostly, it was just a nice excuse to socialize in a more relaxed environment. Good times with people who really do feel like they have become an extension of our family.



This team is so awesome. Please ignore the guy photobombing the group. We pretend not to know him ;)

Next, I want to share a couple of throw-back photos from 2018:


This is a camping trip I went on with the older kids and some friends. At the time, we mostly just hiked around and did some light cragging down in the valley. Liberty Bell (big one on the right) had me captured though. It was the closest thing I have experienced to love at first sight. I have never felt so inspired or compelled by a single line, but there is a crack system that follows its way up that feature that would just not work it's way out of my head.

Last week, I got to do that climb. I met up with Brett early on Saturday morning in Post Falls, and we hooked up with Jon and Adrian on the wall later that afternoon. We did most of the climb on Sunday, and it was every bit as good as I had hoped. Something about just moving up huge features like this lends a feeling of occasion to the day, like something significant was accomplished. I love it!

Jon and Adrian aiding through the roof

Brett





Adrian

Jon






What a beautiful summit. Definitely a view that has to be earned.

Ok. I started this blog talking about the state fair, and that's how we'll end. Our family spent a great afternoon looking at booths, going on rides, eating unhealthy food, and relaxing in the shade. We saw several friends there, and again it reminded me how lucky I feel to have such a diverse social circle.

Night time was what we were really there for though- specifically when the band Minerva stepped onto the stage amidst cheers from probably the biggest audience they have ever had. And they ROCKED it. Evelyn and her band were up there having the time of their life, the crowd was responsive, and the music seemed to come easier and sound better than it ever had in practice. Experiences like this will stay with these kids forever, and already I am a little bit jealous of Evelyn's teenage years. What confidence they have! What a night!

Note: For those who want video of the performance- I think I put some links at the very bottom of this post. Please note that the energy and quality of a live performance can never be accurately recorded on a cell phone, but we try anyway.









Alright- stay tuned for more fun down the road. Have a good week!




Highway to Hell



Free Fallin'



I Love Rock and Roll






No comments:

Post a Comment