Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Last week was the Almond reunion. Due to everyone's circumstances, availability, and ability to travel, we selected Denver as our destination. Rachel drove there and back with the kids, sixteen hours each way. I flew in an airplane. Two hours each way. I think I won on that deal. 

We all stayed together in a large Airbnb, and made daily excursions to different activities. I woke up early every day, because I am me, and explored the bike paths and parks closer to our home. Rachel also woke up early, because she had to, in order to prepare for an upcoming job she has. Sadly, Evelyn couldn't come with us. She actually stayed at home in Post Falls because her band had an important gig. She spent the days with friends and their families, but returned to our house at night time to sleep and take care of pets.

In Denver, we did Denver things. Instead of making a list, I'll share photos. Like most reunions though, it wasn't really about the things we did. Rather, it was about who we were with. The moments in between. The catching up with siblings and their kids, keeping up with changes, and staying relevant in each other's lives. It was a reaffirmation that we matter to each other, and that alone made the trip totally worthwhile.

The activates were fun too though. Here are some photos.

Have a good week!

Candy factory tour. The kids obviously liked this one a lot.

The Denver Train Museum


Red Rock Amphitheater. To our kids, this will always be the "Bruises Stadium," because they really like the song Bruises, by Train, and this is one of the locations on the music video. Anyway, I still think this is one of the greatest places in Denver. I'm pretty sure I'd be up here a lot if I lived here- to work out in the mornings, hike around in the afternoons, and go to shows in the evenings. What a great place.

The Buckhorn Exchange is a fabulous little grill if you like eating eclectic foods. Gaston- the guy from Beauty and the Beast, would have loved this place. Lots of dead things. Here's a photo of Addy and Maren after they realized that they had just eaten alligator tail, and what exactly was meant by "rocky mountain oysters." We also had great fish, elk, bison, and game birds for our main courses.

Confluence Park was definitely a favorite among everybody. We spent several hours at this downtown greenspace, with kids running the rapids over and over again.



This was a good one. While everyone else stayed home and watched a movie, Shannon, Adrian, Rachel, and I went downtown to Larimer Square to enjoy some Denver nightlife. Denver definitely has a vibe to it that I like a lot, which is made all the better by live music, good food, and fun people. Maybe my favorite thing that we did.



One day, we headed down to Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. This place is cool. We did a walking tour where we learned a little bit about the geology and history of the area, and then when everyone else went back to the visitor's center, Rachel, Addy, and I went on a 2-3 mile trail run. We all got pretty warm, but it was invigorating and we got to see a lot of the formations.

One thing I don't really understand is Addy running with a purse. But I guess I was in jeans and a button-down shirt, and Rach was in flip flops, so nobody really has any room to talk.


Most of our kids are on the older side when it comes to the cousins, although they are all good sports about it. Lindsey, on the other hand, loved being surrounded by people with common ages and interests. 



This is us just goofing around at a reservoir. Also, this photo was taken from about 400 yards away with my fancy new phone camera. I think that's pretty neat. Even at that distance though, you can tell it's me because of the distinctive farmer's tan!



Our kids had paddled to the other side of the lake, and I decided to swim across to get them. Right as I caught up with them, however, I was rudely informed by a ranger that the city of Denver frowns upon open water swimming. So while the kids got to paddle back, I had to take the ride of shame in a police boat. Who knew?

Here's the group photo from the Cave of the Winds. Caves are sort of cool. That is all.

Rachel with her two sisters. 

*****
I'll finish with a few photos that people took from Evelyn's band performance at a fund raiser event thing? I'm actually not sure what it was for. They played a full set though, and Evelyn said that they did better than they have ever done before. She also said that after the show, someone they were talking to booked them for a different gig, so I guess the word is spreading about Minerva (the band). As far as I know, their next showing is at the state fair later this month. 


Kloe, AKA Vix

Michael is new to the group, so they can have both lead and rhythm guitar parts

Evelyn, AKA "Moth," living out the teenage dream that I never knew I had until it was too late

Zoe on bass and lead vocals


They're such a weird group. I love these kids.

To paraphrase John Mellencamp: "Hang on to sixteen as long as you can." 

These are days they should look back on with pride and good memories.

2 comments:

  1. What a great reunion! It was fun to see how Rachels family has changed. A lot of little kids I didn’t know about! So happy for Evelyn and her band. What a fun experience for her to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a wonderful reunion. We are very happy that Rachel is such a stellar driver and was willing to drive so far. It was fantastic being together as a family. We missed Evelyn and at the same time were so happy for her opportunity with Minerva. Way to go Moth.

    ReplyDelete