Monday, March 7, 2022

Fast and furious- that was the theme for the week. Because of an upcoming dental meeting, it was a shorter weekend for us, but we crammed a lot into those days.

On Friday we all went to see the play "The Little Mermaid." One of Addy's friends had a minor role in the production and it's always fun to have someone you know up on stage. The show was fun and we all enjoyed the evening. I'm saying this because the photo we got would indicate otherwise.

It didn't end until around ten, and people were tired and ready to go. Jackson had apparently already left. I forced everyone else into the photo. It really was a good night though!

The next morning we got up early to get things ready for Maren's birthday party. The theme was "Topsy-Turvy" in order to reflect Maren's fun, quirky personality. It was mostly pretty chill with few activities, though at some point everyone made little houses for these fuzzy worm things that Maren likes (no worries- they're not really alive). Rachel made an amazing cake to fit the theme, we did pizza, and everyone left happy.


Immediately after presents were opened at the party I threw my skis in the car and headed up to the mountains. Conditions were firm and fast, I had no kids attached, and I was able to ski the entire afternoon just for myself. I got around 30k vertical in during the three hours I was there. Not bad for a half-day!


It was a race-ski kind of day :)

When I got home from skiing I took a quick shower and got ready for the date Rachel had set up for us. It was a fundraising event for the school district, complete with great food and drinks prepared by many different local restaurants, good live music, and a silent auction. I thought it was funny walking around with Rachel. If you know her, then you'll recall that she just helped pull off a comparable event for the non-profit she is a part of a couple weeks ago, and it was clear that she was making comparisons. "We did that part so much better!" or "I really like how they ____ ....We should do that next time!" were common refrains as I walked around with her. Finally, I settled on just sitting and enjoying the music with another guy who's wife was similarly engaged. 

The next day we split into two. Early morning, I met up with a group of friends and we drove to Vantage for a great day of climbing. Meanwhile, Rachel went to church with the kids and then headed up to the hill to get some skiing in for herself. Snow had fallen overnight to soften things up and she said they all had a great time. Her and Addy both had some personal breakthroughs, Lindsey got to scare herself a little (in a good way), and Maren learned the joy of moving downhill to her own personal soundtrack.

What's going on in this photo? Well, Maren had kind of a rough run and was feeling down. Rach had a great idea to boost the morale. Switch helmets! This accomplished two things. First of all, Maren thought it was great seeing her mom with bunny ears. And second, she got to reap the full benefits of a bluetooth enabled ski helmet. She was jamming her way down the hill in no time and the rest of the day was a breeze!

Here's me with a pretty good group of climbers. This time of year is always a little rough as the ski season comes to an end. Especially this year. This trip put a bright silver lining around that though, and reminded me how much I love just getting outside and moving gymnastically on rock. What a day!

Alright, that's it. Not bad for a two-day weekend.

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment