Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Tri Time

The big event this week was Rachel's triathlon. Not one to stay content with prior successes, Rachel has, in recent years, decided that simply riding her bike hundreds of miles each week wasn't enough. She needed more of a challenge. Something hard, you know. Because riding up hills is too easy.

So she started swimming. The lap pool became a familiar friend, and she developed a stroke that could churn through the miles with efficiency. 

And then, remarkably, she started running. I say this is remarkable because in our first year of marriage I talked her into doing a 5k with me. At the end she looked at me defiantly and said "There. I did it. And now I can proudly check off that box and never do it again!" Imagine my surprise then, when I hear her now saying things like "I think I'll just do an easy 5 miles today instead of my planned workout."

Anyway, all the training came to a head last weekend when she finished her olympic length triatholon. That is a one mile swim, a 25 mile ride, and a 6.2 mile run. You would have to ask her for specifics, but the race itself definitely had its ups and downs. Some technical difficulties during the ride affected her time. She was able to make some of that back in the end by running two of the fastest miles she has ever done in her life. And while she hit her target for the swim, she came in a little short of her overall goal. When I talk to her, she is proud to have finished, but a little bummed at the same time because she knows she could have done better.

What I can say is that I think Rachel is a superhero. We went and cheered her on, and it actually made me a little emotional to see her pushing herself and to see the pride the kids all have for her. It was a great day, and she ran a great race. As a side note, three of our kids have decided they want to do a kids triathlon next year! Way to be a good example, Rach!

Also, she is already planning her training schedule for next year. 


We went up the night before and stayed in this little cabin at Priest Lake. It was a quick trip, but I think we all had a good time.

Besides the triathlon, this week seemed full of little things. Things that, on their own, would be fairly commonplace. Putting them all together though, made the week seem very full and busy. Summer is coming to a close and we are making the most of it.

We took the boy scouts rock climbing. And even though most of them are in high school, Jackson was totally the star of the show.

Photo from a scavenger hunt we participated in of downtown Coeur d'Alene. Our family formed a team, and came in first place!

We commissioned these two paintings a little while back and were able to pick them up this week. I love them! Shout out to Bevie LaBrie for her artistic brilliance. 

Hanging out with another family at a local climbing spot. Lots of exploring and climbing, followed by good food and an outdoor movie. 


Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment