Sunday, November 19, 2017

If you could be any animal, what would you be?

"A bunny!"
"A dragon!"
"An eagle!"

A silence ensues, giving us each time to imagine ourselves in our transformed states. Suddenly, our reverie is broken up by Lindsey’s high-pitched voice, simply overflowing with enthusiasm.

"A BANANNA PEPPER!"


Oh, the dinner conversations we have at our house.

*****

We got a call from Maren's principal the other day. I don't know whether to be disappointed or proud.

Turns out that someone on the bus was bullying her. She asked him nicely to stop. He wouldn't. She tried to get the driver's attention. He didn't hear her. She asked again. The kid persisted.

And so she tried to rip off his face.

That's what the principal said.

Following the eventful bus ride, both kids were brought into the office. The principal asked Maren what happened. In a calm and collected voice (as recalled by the principal), Maren said very matter-of-factually, "I grabbed his cheeks with both of my hands and pulled as hard as I could."

No lies. No excuses. No apologies.

The whole story came out from there. Nobody ended up getting in trouble, since both kids were at fault. Needless to say, nobody is going to mess with Maren on the bus anymore.

That's my girl! I mean- we don't condone violence in this family. Yeah. Like I said, I have mixed feelings on this one. Either way, I'm proud of her for telling the truth.

*****

Speaking of Maren, we had a little scare last week. She had been feeling a bit yucky lately. Symptoms lasted long enough that Rach decided to take her to the doctor. From my end, here's what the night looked like:

"Hey love, could you pick the kids up from their classes after work? I'm taking Maren into see the pediatrician"

A little later...

"Hey love, would you mind making dinner? The pediatrician told us to go to the ER for a CAT scan. We won't be home for a while."

And later still...

"Hey love, they are admitting Maren as a patient and putting her on IV antibiotics. She has a 'deep throat abscess' and it looks like we'll be here for a couple of days."

All said, Maren was super brave through the whole ordeal. She was in the hospital from Monday afternoon until Wednesday morning. During this time, they poked and prodded her with needles almost continuously. 

I was especially impressed with her when the nurse came in to give her a shot while we were visiting her. Calmly, she looked at her siblings and said "you might not want to watch this next part because it really hurts and I'll probably cry." She then held out her arm before she was even asked, and let the nurse do her thing. She cried a little bit, but then it was over and she was back to her chipper self.

What a champ.




*****

On Friday and Saturday I had my study club. I didn't do any surgeries this time, which made it sort of relaxing. It was still nice to socialize with other doctors in the area though.

We're also looking forward to our trip in a couple of days to Utah for Thanksgiving. It should be fun.

Have a good week!


A few pictures from one-on-one outings that Rach has had lately with some of the kids

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Maren. Nobody messes with our Maren!! We're so glad you're feeling better after you stay in the hospital. I'm guessing a bunny was Addy, a dragon was Evelyn, and an eagle was Jack . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Maren had a busy week. I'm so glad she's getting better. I love to see your smiles.

    ReplyDelete