Monday, August 14, 2017

This is Maren


She is really good at a lot of things.

Backpacking is one of them.

For those who read this blog regularly, you might remember a post from June 28th of last year. It started out very similar to this one, but then it took a turn for the worse. We had gone backpacking, and, in Maren's own words, "I was really grouchy."

Yes, she was. But now she is a year older, and a lot wiser. Instead of plastic sandals, she wore boots. Instead of a skirt, pants. And with a smile, she carried all of her own gear in her own pack, leading the group to the beautiful Revett Lake on the Idaho/Montana border.

When we got to the lake there was plenty of time for exploring, playing with new friends (see below), and picking all the huckleberries we could eat. What a great trip.

Here's some photos- a lot of photos:

At the trailhead


Snack stop

This guy had the heaviest pack, by far. Using his favorite rope (he has many), he even ended up lashing stuff to the outside. Books, blankets, stuffed animals. You name it. To his credit, he never complained once about the weight.



The girl on the left is Maggie, who was also camping at the lake. This is the rock where Addy and Maggie found each other. The opening dialogue:
A: Hi! I'm Addy, and I'm 7. What's your name?
M: Maggie. I'm 7 too!
A: Really! Do you also have an overactive imagination?
M: No...but I talk a lot!
A: Cool! Do you want to be a pirate or a rescuer?
...And the rest is history.

Evelyn and Addy on the "Pirate Ship" rock 
Making breakfast



Pumping water. The kids love doing this chore, which is perfectly fine with me

Maren has tough feet! She walked around for a good two hours in the morning- over sticks and rocks and everything- before I finally convinced her to put her shoes back on.
Ev got up early to go bird watching. It's sort of become her thing. She was rewarded by getting to watch an osprey catch a fish.

Hiking out, it drizzled on us a little bit. No complaints though. These guys were awesome!

Can you find all five of us? 

*****

Besides the backpacking trip, I had my birthday! I'm a whopping thirty-five years old now. I have to say, I feel pretty good. I mean, my "real" age is probably at least ten years younger...at least that's what people say when they see my baby face.

A couple weekends ago when I was up on Mt. Shuksan, I met some other climbers on the top. One of them was 78 years old, and he had come up a different route. He was in great shape, and had been climbing for most of his life. I told myself that that would be me. In this light, 35 is young. I'm only half way to my prime!

My team at work all pitched in and got me this snazzy new jacket for my birthday. Rachel and the kids also made the day special with presents and by treating me like a king. 
You know, I really do live a good life. I'm surrounded by great people. Lots of friends. Lots of family. My kids are the most important thing in the world to me, and I am playing a significant part in shaping the people they will become. I feel very happy and fulfilled in my career, where my talents can be developed and used for the betterment of others. I am building a solid reputation for myself in the various communities I am a part of- civic, church, work and several small niche groups of hobbyists. I have ample time and money to pursue the things in life that are meaningful to me- both the big things, and the little ones. I am healthy and in great physical and mental shape. Finally, Rachel is the love of my life and is by my side every step of the way to share this fantastic adventure with.

Honestly, what more could a guy ask for at this stage of life? It's a good birthday.
*****

Have a good week!
This is a teaser for next week's post.




1 comment:

  1. the backpack trip looks like great fun! I'm glad you guys could do that. Maren has come a long ways from last year. Anytime in the outdoors is a good time. 35 years old . . . wow!! You have done a lot in those 35 years and I am really proud of you. May the next 35, and the 35 after that, and the 35 after that be even better.

    We're looking forward to seeing Rachel and the kids this weekend. Wish you could come, but we'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete