Wednesday, February 8, 2017

It's been a pretty laid-back week for us. Here are some quick-takes of what we've been up to:

*****

I have to say, I feel a little bit isolated up here in Northern Idaho from most of the political dialogue (if you can call it that) which seems so prevalent these days. For the most part, I like it that way. For now at least, it is much more practical for me to be an interested spectator in the political arena than an active participant.

At the same time, I have a shop in my backyard that is full of furniture, proving that we aren't totally off-the grid.

What does this have to do with national affairs? Quite a bit, it would turn out.

The furniture represents donations intended for a refugee family that was coming over. I'm pretty sure they aren't terrorists or rapists or baby-eaters or anything- just a normal family trying to get out of a pretty dangerous situation. They were supposed to be here soon, and I offered up my shop as a short-term storage facility. Well, it turns out that their arrival has been delayed. And then it wasn't. And then it was. And then it wasn't. I don't even know where things stand at the current time.

So...for all the political big-wigs in Washington who I'm sure are following my blog, please let this family come over before I get started on my Spring cleaning. If not, then I have two dressers, a bed, several bookshelves, and a large fake Christmas tree that you can help me store until further notice.*

Thank you.

*I'm not complaining here- just being deliberately facetious. I really do have plenty of space and am happy to store these items for as long as it takes. I also don't think I'm alone in hoping that this happens sooner rather than later.

*****

Next, I want to mention my back. As it turns out, I'm not a gimpy old man. Not yet, at least. I appreciate all the well-wishes from friends and family, but it's really not that big a deal. I'm doing well with my physical therapy, and I can still sort-of rock climb (but not lead). I also have some weird black tape on my back that they say is supposed to help, but I think they just needed something to do with their extra tape because it seems totally useless to me. Certain exercises help me to feel better, and I imagine it will only be a matter of weeks before I'm a hundred percent again. Best of all, surgery has been ruled out for now. So...yeah...that's good.

*****

On Saturday, we hit a milestone for our family. Lindsey and I worked together to disassemble her crib and unceremoniously drive it to the dump. A new dresser and twin bed took its place.

We have had a crib in our home for over nine years. And now we don't any more. We probably won't ever have one again. It's a big day. Our little family is growing up!


*****

Jackson and I made a birdhouse. He planned it, helped me pick out the wood, measured it, and did almost all the work himself. I was just there to hold boards while he cut them, and to make sure things didn't get too out of control with the power tools. He did a pretty good job.


*****

Evelyn went on a camp-out this weekend up in the mountains. Well- they called it camping. Actually, they stayed in cabins and played games most of the time. I think she had fun though.



*****

Other news: Rachel and I got a babysitter so we could go watch the Super Bowl. We both ate way more junk food than we should have, and it was fun to get out.

Evelyn put together a great presentation on JK Rowling and delivered it flawlessly to our family. Good job Ev!

While Ev was at her camp, we took the other kids to Home Depot for their monthly craft day. Everyone built boxes with picture-frame lids.


*****
Have a good week!

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the bird mansion, Jackson. I bet the presentation was great. Logan I hope your family arrives soon. You all look great.

    ReplyDelete