Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Do you know why I'me excited for Lindsey to get older?
Why?
Because then we can get potted plants!
    -Evelyn. Random.

______________

It's been a good night.

Rachel gets home late on Tuesday nights, so I get to hang out with the kids for a long time on my own. Today we all did yard work together, and it was actually a lot of fun. I got the lawn mowed and the garage cleaned, and then we went in and had pizza and ice cream for dinner (it's a dad thing). After dinner we read a few chapters out of our current bed-time book (The BFG), and then they went to bed (and stayed there!).

As for me, I turned on the sprinklers and then sat on my deck and enjoyed watching the sun go down. The air still smelled of cut grass, and the gentle tsk-tsk-tsk of the sprinkler could be heard alongside birds, someone mowing their lawn in the far distance, and the neighborhood game of basketball taking place in the street.

I know it's not official yet, but tonight my brain told me for the first time this year that it is Summer. I love it.
_______________

As for our week, I'll let the pictures do the talking:


Our house project this last month has been Evelyn and Addy's room. We painted the walls and ceilings, got new curtains, a nice new dresser, and new bunk beds. We're not quite done yet, but we are getting really close. The installment of the beds was a major milestone, and it made it so the kids could actually sleep in there again (we still have to put the bedding on though). Hopefully we'll finish things up this week. It's about time.

Then on to the next thing! (Jacks room, I think. Or maybe the deck. Or the fence. Or the shop/home gym. Or the sprinkler system. Or...oh, I give up. Owning a house is an endless task list. At least we find enjoyment in doing this stuff together.)  
This is what the weather looked like on Saturday when we decided to go on a family walk. The weather app said it was supposed to be nice though, so we got the kids in the car and drove up to Farragut State Park.
We got there, and sure enough, the sun had come out and it was absolutely beautiful for the rest of the afternoon. Technology is crazy. Oh- also, I'm pretty sure our kids would get lost in the forest in about ten seconds if it wasn't for us keeping a sharp eye out. "Trail? What trail?" Notice the blue dot in the background. That is Jackson trying to get lost. 
Finally, we stumbled onto this old forest service road. The older kids went in front to protect us from cougars and bears. The sticks are their weapons.
We followed behind.
We did about two miles. I think Lindsey walked at least half that distance on her own. Most of it was in circles. She really seemed to dislike the grass on the side of the road and took it as her personal duty to trample over each and every offensive blade...with a vengeance! It was a fun afternoon.

I had to put this one up because both these girls are so pretty in it! Rachel and Addy on a Mommy-Ice-Cream-Date. Notice their artwork in the back. Very creative. 
Well, that's about it. In a couple of days we will celebrate Cinco de Mayo, which is always a big day for us (it's our wedding anniversary). We have fun weekend plans, and in keeping with tradition we might host our first backyard BBQ of the year. We'll see. I've noticed that as our kids get older we have begun to regain some of the spontaneity that was sacrificed to the combined needs of a large, young family. It's a fun season we are in.

Enjoy the Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment