Monday, May 23, 2016

Anyone who has been to a parade before is probably familiar with the "horse diaper"- a bag tied to the rear end of a horse with the intent to make things easier for the marching band that is following 20 yards behind. Well, events from the week have caused me to draw from this concept to come up with a whole new invention.

Introducing The Barf Bagger.

Yup. Our kids have been sick, sick, sick, and sick. 4 of them. Lindsey was the worse though, because she is the only one who can't carry around a bowl. Let's just say that I have cleaned up more throw-up on the carpet in two days than I would ever hope to do in a lifetime. It was pretty gross.

During dinner, Maren was feeling so yucky she decided to just lay down and die...or at least fall asleep. It was literally about 10 seconds from the time she hit the floor to the time she was out cold. Poor girl.
So...obviously we took it easy over the weekend and didn't go on any major adventures. We still had fun though.
The three older kids can play Scrabble. What a great way to work on spelling and vocabulary! Maren was on my team and made a great cheer-leader.

After people started feeling a little bit better, I brought the 4 older kids to see a movie at the cheap theater. Please ignore the fact that I look like I have no teeth in this picture. The person who took it was not a very conscientious photographer. 

Also this weekend, I had my study club. I didn't do a surgery this time, but it was still one of the most informative meetings I have been to in the past few years in terms of good practical knowledge that I can take home and use in my practice.

There is an old saying that I have always liked- "When you look around and find that you are the smartest (fastest, strongest, most skilled) person in the room, you know it's time to find a new room." I have always tried to surround myself with people who I felt would force me to be better than I am, and study club definitely fits this criteria. I am one of the youngest doctors there, and the sheer amount of knowledge that gets thrown around in some of the more heated moments is nothing short of inspiring.

Well, that's about it for the weekend.

As for the week itself, there were a few notable events.

To start with, Rachel got old this week. She's 34 now, which it turns out is exactly the same age as the oldest professional inline skater...ever. So, I guess that option is pretty much closed off to her now.

Besides this one major disappointment, Rachel is taking the birthday thing pretty well though. Really well, in fact. She was spoiled by the kids (and a little bit by her husband) with new camping gear and some nice "out-on-the-town" attire. She is in great physical shape and is loving the busy-yet-balanced lifestyle that she has built for herself.

Also, according to a study of over 2000 "older" adults, age 34 happens to be the happiest year of most people's lives, so she has a lot to look forward to. (Never mind that I got this number from a tabloid magazine that was printed on a random webpage on the internet- it says what I want it to say so I believe it to be accurate.)

She officially had her birthday on Wednesday, but we celebrated on Friday so that we could have a bigger party. We decorated the house and had cake and opened presents and everything. I even did the dishes that night.

Happy Birthday, Love.

The kids also had some activities this week...
Maren's end-of-year pre-school presentation. Obviously, a farmer theme. Maren was really excited about her toucan shirt because in her world tropical birds are farm animals.

Our church teamed up with another local church and BikeCDA to host a hot-dog roast and bike safety course for kids. It had a great turn-out. The 4 oldest went and had a great time. When we arrived, the organizers informed us that we were welcome to stay and watch if we wanted, but that they had planned on most parents leaving. Score! Rachel, Lindsey, and I got an unanticipated two-hour getaway to a nice Italian restaurant. Everyone wins!

We are looking forward to next weekend when my parents are coming up to hang out with us. It should be fun, and by then I'm sure everyone will be feeling back to their normal crazy selves.

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment