Wednesday, March 23, 2016

"Are you with the interpreter?"

A group of people approached me at the Idaho Democratic Caucus last night. Rachel and I had arrived earlier that evening intending to spend the time together at the lively event while voicing our support for Hillary Clinton as president. As an aside, I'll just say it's sort of bizarre being in the vast minority of Democrats, in a state where Democrats are already a vast minority to start with, knowing all the while that you stand with the majority of the American public (according to both polling data and betting odds). Idaho is interesting that way.

Anyway, like I said, we had planned on spending the evening together. Toward the beginning of the event however, a call went out to the group. "We have some deaf people at this caucus who would like to participate, and we don't have anyone here who knows sign language. Is anyone able to help?"

Rachel and I nodded at each other and Rachel stood up and raised her hand. Amidst applause, she took her place on the stage next to the presenter in front of the 2,100 people assembled. That is where she would stay for the next four hours.

*****
"Are you with the interpreter?"
"Yes, she is my wife."
"Well, you need to let her know that she is one of the most poised and professional people I have seen, not to mention entertaining."
"It's true," another person added. "I don't even know sign language and I am having more fun watching her than I am listening to the speakers she is interpreting for!"

Yep- that's my wife. Rachel is a classy, beautiful, and extremely talented person, and I am proud to be her husband, even (maybe especially) when that makes me an accessory at times. I love watching her do well in things, and there seems to be an ever growing list of areas where this is the case. From her interpreting prowess to her enthusiasm for biking to her complete mastery of the elusive soft skills of mothering and friendship- she never ceases to amaze me. So Rach- you are not only poised and professional like the people at the caucus said- you are that and so much more. You are the love of my life.

*****
OK- enough with the mushy stuff.

Besides the caucus, Rachel and I went on another date this week to two of our favorite places- Q'emiln park for rock climbing, and Bardenay after it got dark to get food. I love that climbing season is starting. I'll admit, I'm not quite into pushing the grade as much this year as I have been in years past, and mid-level 11s are probably about the highest I'd be able to lead right now. Even so, getting out on the rock is always very nice, and Rachel and I were able to get two routes in before darkness fell.



*****
As for the kids, they are doing awesome. Yesterday was their last day of school before Spring Break and they are excited to be visiting Grandma and Grandpa in a few days. Last week we got out on a family hike and it was fun watching the kids run ahead of us so they could climb on the rocks as we went. I remember it wasn't too long ago that we had to either carry them or else slow the pace way, way, WAY down for them to be able to keep up with us on hikes. Not any more! I think we have some actual backpacking trips in store for us this Summer!


*****
These are pictures of the kids on Sunday at church. The pony/donkey rides were part of a lesson and the kids loved it!





*****
Over the weekend I went shooting with a friend of mine. He is the kind of guy who's house I would go to if the Zombies attack- I'm pretty sure we'd be able to hold them off indefinitely with the arsenal at his disposal. On this particular trip we shot a .22, a 9mm mauser carbine, a 40 S&W handgun, an AR15, and a 300 WSM.


*****
Finally, some completely random bits of our week:
A walk to the dam that Rachel and I did with Maren and Lindsey while the other kids were at school
All in the name of science
This guy is totally going to be a climber one day
I went into my office at work after seeing a patient, and there on my desk was a present with wrapping paper and everything. It was from Jack. I opened it and found this picture along with this half-eaten piece of brownie. Now, it has been weeks since we made brownies, so I'm a little wary of that, but it was a really sweet thought. Thanks, Jack.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go at the convention! 4 hours is a very long time. You're amazing. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go at the convention! 4 hours is a very long time. You're amazing. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete