Sunday, May 5, 2013

Our Anniversary

Exactly eight years ago today I woke up early and went running. It was a beautiful morning. Later that day I said "yes" to the best, most important, and most life-altering decision I have ever made. I decided to spend the rest of eternity with the love-of-my-life, Rachel.

Eight years! So much has happened since then. I graduated from BYU, and later from dental school at Case Western. We have gone through 3 pregnancies and have 4 wonderful children to show for it. We have lived in 3 different states, and 5 different houses. I have gone through 2 jobs, and we are currently running our own business together. We have gone on countless hikes and bike rides. We have enjoyed each other's company through the best moments of both of our lives. We have also been there for each other during the hardest moments of our lives.

It's been perfect. I don't say that in a Pollyanna sort of way either. It hasn't always been easy, or even fun. But most of it has, and the hard parts have made us stronger and closer and more committed to each other than ever. Today, Rachel is still the love-of-my-life. She is also an amazing mother, business partner, and most of all, friend.

On reflection of the past 8 years, I can see how our marriage has really been a stabilizing influence over the rest of our lives. Sometimes it seemed like the only stabilizing influence we had. Our lives together have been crazy. Really crazy. A lot of it you are able to read and experience with us on the blog- but some of it is purposely withheld because we don't feel like it should be totally public information. Things like personal finances, relationships with bosses, personal conversations, matters of faith, matters of politics, child raising, family relationships, etc. These things are too personal and/or too dangerous to talk about in a public arena. Just know that the past 8 years has been a crazy and wild roller-coaster of experiences, and if that's the case, then our marriage has been the seat belts that make the ride fun and exciting instead of terrifying and insignificant. I know that whatever happens, I will always have my Rachel at my side.

So, here's a big thank you and I LOVE YOU to Rachel, the woman who has given me the best 8 years of my life. I like her quite a bit.

Absolutely.

1 comment:

  1. You two are so good together! I have often thought that you chose well when you chose Rachel. You couldn't have done better. We love her too and feel so blessed that we've had her part of our family for 8 years. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete