Sunday, June 6, 2010

Thinking back on this week it seems like it has been the longest short week that I have ever had. It was short in that the work week was only four days long. Thinking back, however, Memorial day seems like it was forever ago.


So, what did we do for Memorial Day? We went to a parade! While this may be surprising to some of you who know of my loathing for parades, it may come as an even bigger shock to hear that I actually enjoyed it! See- here is my past parade experience:


You drive to the parade long before it starts. You then spend the next half hour to forty-five minutes trying to navigate closed off roads and find a parking space. Finally you are able to leave the car and begin the fifteen mile trek to the side of the road. Because you are not a crazy fanatic, you have not scoped out the parade route and claimed your spot 4-5 days in advance, so you end up squeezing the whole family onto one sidewalk square that is exposed to the blistering heat of the sun. And then you wait. And wait. And wait. And wait.


Finally, the parade gets to you. By this time your butt is so sore that you have decided to stand up, but now your knees are starting to buckle and you feel like you are going to faint. The sun doesn’t help, and of course you left the water bottles in the car. After watching the parade for a full forty minutes you can still see the lead car, and about now you realize that you will be standing here for the next 6 years of your life. You wish you could sit down again but by now someone else has claimed that spot. And you probably need to pee, but of course there are no bathrooms nearby. Suddenly fainting doesn’t seem so bad.


Finally, long after the ringing in your ears has subsided and the sounds of the parade are but a muffled conglomeration of horns and music, you see the pooper scoopers in their golf cart and you know the end is in sight. You breathe a sigh of relief, hike back to the car, and spend the rest of the afternoon nursing your sunburn.


And so it is that I have always wondered how people could actually enjoy parades. I swore a long time ago that I would never, ever, ever go to another parade unless it was in celebration of my own children’s accomplishments. And even then I would be a reluctant observer at best. So when Rachel suggested we go to a parade for Memorial Day I gave an inward groan of despair. But then I remembered that our kids have nap times, and that Rachel is a “schedule Nazi,” and that gave me hope that we might not have to stay for the whole thing. Under these conditions I consented to the affair.


Well, I went about a half hour early on my motorcycle to reserve us a spot. Because I was on a motorcycle, I was able to find parking a mere 100 feet from the parade route. There, I found a very nice spot on the grass under a tree and read my book until Rachel arrived with the kids.


The parade started soon after Rachel got there, and since we were right at the beginning of the route we didn’t have to wait any longer. Also, since we were at the beginning the paraders (people in the parade) were throwing their candy with reckless abandon. I guess it is a mental thing; when they see their buckets are overflowing with sweet goodness they don’t really think of the possibility of running out. At the end of the parade is when they start getting stingy.


Anyway, except for the police cars and fire trucks, our kids really liked the show. Once the sirens passed it was giggles and smiles the whole time. And it was sort of fun because it was a small community parade and most everyone who was sitting around us knew several people who were marching. There were lots of politicians and classic cars, some floats and local youth or special interest groups, and a few bands. And then it was over. Just before it got to the point of dragging on it was finished. I thoroughly enjoyed myself the entire time we were there. I think I could get into this small-town parade thing.


So, now that I’ve rambled on about that, I’ll fill you in on the rest of the week. I started school again and Rachel got her routine back with the kids. It was sort of fun getting back to clinic, and I think that it will be a pretty laid-back semester as far as classes are concerned.


Also, this weekend Rachel has been taking motorcycle riding classes. She is the star of her class and has been begging me for a racing bike she can use on the track.


Ok, not really. But she has enjoyed it and will have her official motorcycle endorsement soon. She says she is taking the class for practical reasons (when you only have one car and the other is a motorcycle it might be good to know how to ride), but I think that she enjoys it more than she lets on.


Well, I hear the babies waking up so I guess I’ll stop the rambling and let you guys see some pictures. Have a good week everyone!


Here's Jack and Addy as they bask in the sun and watch Evelyn and her friend play in the swimming pool.

This is at the parade. We couldn't get Jackson to take his eyes off of the people in the street.



I know we've been doing a lot of these lately. This is a video of Jack and Addy. In the end you get to see Adalie's new trick (crawling). Very impressive.

3 comments:

  1. Yea Adalie! It is so fun to see those accomplishments, even from very far away. And Logan, I'm so glad you gave parades another chance. I'm sorry we had nearly ruined them for you, but I can see your point. Actually, we had earned the "sit near the front of the parade route" trick years ago and you're right, it makes it much more bearable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray Addie! And Rachel, those shirts the girls were wearing at the parade are ADORABLE! You just tell that to Logan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your description of parades. It is so true. I remember as a kid I didn't like them either. Your kids are all so cute. I am sorry I missed seeing them when you came to Grandma's house.

    ReplyDelete