Sunday, May 2, 2010

This week I have a bunch of random thoughts to blog about. There is really no continuity between these thoughts, but that’s ok. Sometimes life is just an eclectic assortment of experiences and we take them as they come.

The first thing is that I finished up my final week of the year in clinic. I have learned so much and feel like I might actually have the makings to be a good dentist. I really look forward to my days in the clinic (most of them) and to the interaction with my patients. I feel like the learning curve has been nearly vertical for me this year and it is fun to look back and see how far I have come.

Evelyn has become a master delayer. She knows every trick in the book to keep from going to bed, and she uses them with such regularity that it is now almost comical:

Me: Evelyn, it’s time for bed.

Her: No

Me: Yes

Her: NO

Me: YES (I pick her up and start carrying her)

Her: Eat, Eat, Pahee, Gohk, Book, Guck, Pahee, Poop, gink, GINK, Bankie (Translation: I’m hungry, I need the potty, cup, book, milk, potty, I pooped [yea right], drink, DRINK, blanket)

Me: Nope- I know your little games. You are full of lies and they aren’t going to work on me.

Her: Guck, poop, teet, bankie, bankie…

This goes on until I put her in bed and close the door. And then she screams- and I mean really screams- for about 1 minute. And then it is quiet and she has resigned herself to her fate. You think she would learn, but I guess not, because this has pretty much become the bedtime routine. Other than these times, however, she is an angel and we couldn’t ask for a better behaved two-year-old.

Yesterday we went to the zoo. We really like the zoo. Evelyn got an up close look at the alligator and it scared her. One of the more interesting things I saw, however, was on the way to the zoo where we pass an old cemetery. And there, in between all the headstones, was a party. There was a gas BBQ grill and people were eating hamburgers and walking around and laughing and acting like they didn’t know that they were walking on burial sites. Pretty weird.

This morning we were sitting in the front room taking care of babies when we heard a sudden crash. We thought that it was Evelyn and rushed to see what was wrong, but she was still sleeping as calm as could be. Then we looked in out bathroom and found that our wall had literally fallen into our bath tub. It is times like this that I am really glad that we are renting.

We finally decided to get with the times. Yes, we were behind. We were like those old, out-of-touch people who are living in the past. But not any more because we finally got and ipod. When I told people we were getting one they were pretty much incredulous that we have gone so long without one. I mean, come on people- we’re not THAT behind. It’s not like we still use an outhouse or anything (although we might have to now that our bathtub is being occupied by our wall). But seriously, it’s not like an ipod is one of life’s necessities.

Anyway, we broke down and made the purchase since we are planning a 2000 mile road trip (more on that next week) and the CD player on our car doesn’t work. Also, Evelyn and her friends like using our CDs as Frisbees so it is only a matter of time before they don’t work anyway. So we have an ipod. And can I just say that it is amazing! I always understood in theory, but I still think it is cool that my entire music collection fits on this little contraption that we can bring with us everywhere we go. I know I am just making myself sound old fashioned here, but really, it is pretty cool.
















2 comments:

  1. They are getting so big!! So cute! Sorry about your tub! I've heard of many ceilings falling into the tubs around here, but not the side! That's a new one :) Sorry it had to be yours :( It was so fun to see you Rach and Evelyn at the superhero party. Also missed you tonz this weekend Rachel!! Let's plan for this next one :) :) :)
    -Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you guys that your family pic. is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I love it!

    ReplyDelete