Sunday, May 23, 2010

As mentioned in last week’s post, we spent most of our week at Deanna and Dave’s beautiful home just outside of Houston. It was awesome to spend time with them and their kids, and we had a great time going on walks, swimming in their amazing pool, and just hanging out. Evelyn made a lifelong friend in Savanna (Deanna’s daughter) and those two spent a lot of good time together. Also, Ashton (their son) was a very diligent teacher in trying to get me to learn how to skateboard. I must admit that his hard work paid off because I am still alive today- albeit a little stiffer than I was before.


The one downside was that Jack and Addy got this horrible sickness where they were blowing out of all of their diapers and throwing up all over everything. I got it too and was pretty much out of commission for one of the days. On one day the babies slept for all but 2 and a half hours out of the day.


Rachel’s birthday happened to fall on the 18th while we were there as well. She is a whopping 28 years old- wow! Deanna made red pancakes for her that morning (family tradition to have colored pancakes) and a cake later that afternoon. Also, she sent Rachel to the spa for an afternoon massage and facial. Later that night they took our kids so Rachel and I could go out to dinner together and have a nice date night. We had a good night and I decided that I like 28-year-old Rachel just as much (maybe even a little more) than the previous version. I love my wife!


On Thursday morning we leisurely packed up our stuff and drove to the Dallas Nature and Science Museum. It was big, like everything else in Texas, and we had a good time there. After about two hours we got back in the car and drove back to Cleveland, OK to Griffin’s house.


Two things happened at Griffin’s house that are worth mentioning. First- we made the 2 mile drive to Ashland’s parent’s house. Now it doesn’t seem like much can happen in two miles, but here is the story. As we leave Griffin’s house the power steering on our van seems a bit stiff- we assume it is no big deal and that it will shortly return to normal. About a mile later the battery light comes on in the car- followed by the ABS light. Now we are worrying. Near mile 1.5 the car starts shuddering and lurching. Definitely concerned about this but we are sooo close. About 1000 feet from the house the car suddenly loses power completely, but we hang in there and are able to slowly coast until we reach the house and park. Whew! We later found out that it was a broken serpentine belt which we were able to buy and replace ourselves that night. No big deal- but I tell you, that was a crazy 2 miles.


The second thing isn’t nearly as harrowing a tale, but I want to mention it anyway because I find it funny. We went to a garage sale (several, actually, but this one stands out). In reality it was an estate sale so the stuff was all in the house instead of on the front lawn. There was a big sign on the door that basically said “Enter at your own risk.” Come to find out the home should probably be condemned as the floor would shift beneath your feet as you walked on it. I thought it was funny because they were selling everything-and I mean everything. Take a look at the picture below to see what I mean.


This morning (Sunday) we are packing up again and getting back on the road to home. Although it’s not officially over yet, I have to say that it has been a wonderful vacation and we have loved seeing everyone. This next week we’ll take it easy in Cleveland and then it’s back to school for me.











1 comment:

  1. Logan and Rachel! Nancy just told me to read your blog so I did. It was actually very entertaining and I think you guys could write a very good book someday. You are very funny!

    ReplyDelete