Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Lindsey! She is eight!

A part of me thinks: Holy cow, she is already eight?!
Another part of my thinks: Holy cow, she is only eight?!

My Linzo is definitely a strong personality in our family, and it is hard to imagine what things would be like without her. She is probably the most active, imaginative, and social kid we have ever had. When everyone else is sitting in front of the tv, she will be out on her bike, hanging out with friends, or jumping on the trampoline. Always. She also loves taking long baths (with all the toys), putting on performances for whoever will watch, even if it's just her stuffed animals, and joining me to do her workout any time I am in my gym.

This girl is special.

We did a family party while camping

She also had a party at home with some of her friends. It was loosely based around a "Frozen" theme, and Rachel made this cake with melted candy "ice" on top. 


*****

About a year ago, Rachel and I went for the first time to a little crag called "Craiglandia" out by Tumtum. It is privately owned, and the routes are developed almost exclusively by the owner. Since then, we have become friends with Craig, and our family loves to go out to camp, hike, and climb on his property.

Next week he is hosting a climbing festival at his place, with food, movies, and a little competition where each of his nearly 120 routes is awarded points based on difficulty, style, and approach times. Some of our kids may participate, and I will be there to offer belays or set top-ropes wherever needed. This last weekend, we camped out at his place and helped with some clean-up and maintenance in preparation for the event. Everyone worked hard, and I think had a good time. 

Addy, leading a climb near our camp. This place is kind of special.






*****

The 4th of July is kind of a funny holiday to me. I really like where I live, and I appreciate that I can pursue my own interest on my own terms. I understand that isn't true for everyone, and I certainly don't think that me having this freedom makes my country very exceptional, but I do think it is worth recognizing as a good thing. I also have really mixed feelings about what "patriotism" is or ought to be. Like I said- it's funny.

One thing I really like about the holiday though, is the community aspect. I like the parties at the lake, the backyard barbecues, and the neighborhood firework displays. I like the parades, and the kids running around, and the pie and the ice-cream. It feels almost like the official start of summer. I like that, regardless of what it is that we each feel we are celebrating, we are at least doing it together. It's fun.



It got really loud outside, so the poor bunnies got to spend the night indoors. Maren set up a bed for herself on the floor and slept next to them. She is such a good bunny mom!

*****

As it turns out, this was a week when I really was able to appreciate, in a lot of ways, this beautiful corner of the world that we call home.

Party in the gardens at Arbor Crest. As always, the mix of good food, live music, and dancing with my sweetheart against the stunning backdrop of a perfect sunset made for a euphoric evening.

Lake day! It is finally that time of year when the cool water is very inviting. Happy summer!

Deck nights. Sometimes with the kids. Sometimes with Rachel. Sometimes just with myself. I don't think I will ever get tired of this view. It's not the best view in the area, but it's not bad, and it gets to be all mine every night. That makes it special.

I feel so close on this one...and yet so far... 

*****
Have a good week!

I still get a child-like urge sometimes to make faces at myself in the bathroom mirror, or the selfie cam. Also, my hair is getting longer. It's kinda fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment