Sunday, January 24, 2021

Earlier this week I went in to a photography studio where I got my picture taken for our new website at work. It was a nice setup, and the guy who took the pictures was very professional. As he worked we discussed his past in photojournalism and it was a good reminder to me that I need to bring out the camera a bit more. Honestly, a LOT has happened in the past couple of weeks, but I don't feel like I can write anything until I have some great pictures to share with it. Pictures, after all, are worth a thousand words, right? And those pictures, more than anything I write, are likely to trigger the memories I hope we are making for years down the road. 

The problem is that a photojournalist is, almost by definition, apart from the activities taking place rather than a part of them. It is possible, I believe, to play both the role of actor and audience during one's own affairs, but striking such a balance is difficult, and not always conducive to organic experiences. And so, while photodocumentation is definitely a renewed priority of mine, I am also unapologetic for posts like these which, perhaps to my future chagrin, trade the memory of events for my own indulgence and immersion into the events themselves.

Anyway...

Like I said, a lot has been going on recently. Before we get to that though, just a few notes on our overall lifestyle. I know it may sound sentimental, but seriously, this is the life I always wanted to live. We ski every weekend. We have groups of climbers at our place just to hang out a couple nights every week. Rachel and I both have challenging and fulfilling careers, and the kids each have their own "cool" individualism and seem mature beyond their years. This is our normal, but it is often punctuated with family trips, new experiences, and exciting events. It's almost scary. I've always been careful to guard myself against complacency. Constant improvement, pushing, and striving has been a way of life for us for so long, and I don't imagine that is about to stop. But where do we go from here? I'm not really sure, but I am thrilled to find out!

As for events beyond the normal, let's share a few photos:

Jackson's room has been our latest project. He spent a lot of time browsing Pinterest and Amazon for ideas, and has come up with a theme that I think will be pretty cool. We had our own input regarding closet storage and organization, but the majority of this came from him. In its current state it is all but finished, as we are waiting on a couple of larger items to arrive from online orders before we can actually take final pictures. Suffice it to say, I think that for a while he'll have the coolest room in the house. As such, it will also double as our main guest room when people come to visit.


Next- I got a new car! Not much to say about this other than I love it. We are keeping the old Durango to use as a work truck, but from now on you can see me in my new Subaru Ascent. It's very nice and is less than two years old, making me feel a little bit like a pauper in prince's clothing when I drive it. Virtually my entire life I have driven cars with over 150,000 miles and stubborn check-engine lights, and I have grown accustomed to the unease that comes with knowing that you could be stranded at any moment by mechanical failure. And while a part of me will miss the grit and character that one develops through such a tenuous relationship with the road, I suppose I can always go and hitchhike my way through a rainstorm in the middle-of-nowhere just for old-times' sake. In the meantime, I'll thoroughly enjoy my heated steering wheel, soft leather seats, and lighted cupholders.


It has begun- two of our kids will soon be in braces. Evelyn and Jackson (the two most desperate cases) both had consults with the orthodontist and are excited to start this journey. I've worked closely with Dr. Brent over at Peach Orthodontics for years, and I have every reason to expect great results with my own kids. To celebrate, we let them pick out all the sticky and crunchy junk food they wanted during one giant shopping spree. It will be the last time they will be able to enjoy these foods for a good long while.

Jackson- just a little crowded. This is what my own teeth looked like as a kid.

Evelyn- a little overjet. This is what happens when a kid sucks her thumb for too long.

Alright, there isn't much else to share. Later today Rachel and I will go out to watch football, and we have a rock climbing date scheduled for tomorrow morning when the kids are in school. Also, I'll take a few more pictures for next time.

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment