Thursday, May 28, 2020

Two posts in one week. It must be summer! I need to do it though, because starting tomorrow we are off to new adventures and keeping up will be impossible unless I get this out there.

The main reason for this post is our weekend camping trip in Washington. Lots of hiking, swimming, climbing, and just playing around. Also, on our way out, with a car overflowing with all of our stuff, Rachel and I had a casual conversation about how we might be able to be even more spontaneous (as if that's needed with us), and extend our effective "weekend range" with an RV or camper trailer. At the time it was just an offhanded idea.

Three days later, after work, Rachel and I took a five hour drive to pick up our new trailer. Evelyn had a sleepover in it last night. Impulsive? Probably. I prefer spontaneous though. I think we'll have a good time with it. As I write this I don't even have any photos, but I'm sure it will show up on the blog as we continue our summer activities.

Ok. On to our camping trip.

We were lucky to get a wonderful site on a beautiful Memorial Day weekend in Vantage. We have been out here a lot this spring, but this is probably our last family trip out here this year. The desert gets hot in the summer. The days we were there were perfect though. Probably our best trip yet.

This picture of Jack roasting his hot dog makes me smile.

Campfire fun

Beautiful sunsets are one of the regular features at Vantage

Of course, if we are at Vantage, we are going to be climbing. Here I am organizing our rack before a particularly good morning.
Rachel has discovered the many joys of crack climbing, and has sort of made this her "specialty."

At the beginning of the year, I printed off a list of all the most difficult traditional (placing your own gear) climbs in the area and set out to do each one of them. On Monday I completed the list. It feels good to accomplish a goal.

Google found this photo comparison for me. I know I shared the picture on the right just last week and I wrote a lot about Jackson and his climbing. Seeing these two photos together makes me incredibly proud though. On this most recent trip, I watched him redpoint his first climb with amazing style. It was a reachy 5.10 for most adults, but for him there were parts where he had to do full-on dynos to reach the holds. Watching him work out the moves, rehearse them, and then finally stick them for a clean send on lead was probably the most rewarding part of this trip for both of us. I was belaying him, and I seriously got chills as he coolly launched himself through the crux with poise that belies his age. I like to think the confidence he is gaining with this will carry through to other parts of his life as well.

Also, to be honest, I am really glad that him and I can connect with climbing. We are two very different people in a lot of ways, and sometimes we don't get along real great. Climbing might just prove to be a sort of glue though for us to come back to. Here's to many more great trips in the future!

Also, even though I don't have a picture of her, I need to mention Maren here. She developed a deep love of climbing chimneys. She did her fourth one this weekend and as soon as she got down she asked to go up again. I think she just loves the feeling of exposure. Also, at the top of pretty much any climb, she will ask to just sit there and take in the view for 5-10 minutes before coming down.

Climbing isn't the only thing we did. Like I said before, the desert gets hot in the summer. Generally, we climbed in the cool of early morning or evening, and did other things during the day. Here we are on a picnic.

Playing at a local park

Swimming at the beach.

Overall, a great Memorial Day weekend.

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment