Monday, April 29, 2019

C.O.M.P.L.I.M.E.N.T.

Each time we are out in public and the kids receive a good word for their behavior, they earn a letter. When they get the "T" at the end, they get a party. It has worked really well, and I smile every time I hear one of them thank our server by name at a restaurant, or hold the door open for a stranger as they try to get their letters. This week they completed the word once more, and as a celebration we designed a day of fun, made even better by the free Silverwood tickets that a friend gave to us.

It started out pretty cold, but Silverwood is Silverwood, and it got warmer as the day moved on

Train ride!

It was Lindsey's first time at the park. She had a blast!

Besides Silverwood, we ate way too much pizza for our own good, went rock climbing and hiking with some friends, and had a milkshake party.

Also, Evelyn, Addy, and Jack each had sleepovers this weekend with different friends. It has been a busy few days.

*****

I do have to tell one story of a COMPLIMENT letter that they did NOT earn. See, Addy and Jack are in an archery class. They love it, and they are getting pretty good at coming close to hitting the target every time.

Jack and Addy on bottom right

Well, Rachel and I had stepped out of the house for a moment when we got a text from a neighbor. "Do you know that your kids are shooting bows and arrows in the front yard?"

I went home to investigate, and got there right around the same time as the police officer. She had come to investigate the little yahoos and to meet the crazy parents who didn't understand that lethal weapons are not allowed to be practiced in a neighborhood. I was surprised then, when she held out her hand and smiled warmly at me.
"Are these your children?"
"I'm afraid so."
"Well, they are the most charming kids I've ever met! As you probably know, I came because I heard reports of bows and arrows being used. When I got here, the kids came up to me and explained very clearly what they were doing. They showed me the blunted arrows and the targets in the ground. They spoke to me politely, but also like we were equals. That is uncommon in kids. Anyway, I don't actually think they were doing anything wrong per se. Nobody is getting in trouble here, but I do think is scares some of your neighbors and so it's probably best not to bring the bows in the front yard."

I was a little embarrassed at having a cop show up at our house, but also a little proud of my kids who would have the social awareness to explain in clear and polite terms their side of the story. It was a good compliment to receive. I assured the officer that we would keep the target practice contained to safe areas, and we all waved her on her way.

Yes, they were good...but they still didn't get the letter. After all, a cop had to come to our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment