Sunday, June 25, 2017

What a week!

Family Reunion
It's been a long time since we were able to attend the Hazard Family Reunion. I'm not talking about me and my siblings here- I'm talking about the BIG Hazard family- my dad and his parents and siblings and all my cousins and their kids and everything. Some of my greatest memories growing up revolve around these reunions- river trips, beach camps, cabin stays- it was never just a "get together." Nope. With us, it's either "go big, or go home." This year did not disappoint.


My grandparents stayed in a cabin. The rest of us took over a camp site and made ourselves at home.

Marshmallow goodness
Of course, we didn't just stay at the camp site. Rather, we used it as a base to do a bunch of other stuff.

Hiking

Rafting/kayaking

And of course, the annual wiffle ball competition. This year, the game took place in the water, where we also did a lot of Jeeping, beaching, and sand-duning (are those real words?)





Camp
When we got home, Maren and Lindsey had day camp every day of the week. We have booked ourselves pretty solid this summer, and the kids are involved in a lot of camps and stuff over the next several months. This is only the first of many. They made tons of neat crafts, and both kids were excited to see me at the end of the day and tell me all about their activities. I think they had a good time.




Strawberries
Addy went to a strawberry farm with some friends and brought home a huge box of strawberries. What to do with them? Mom- be expecting a call so I can get the recipe for that amazing freezer jam you make!

Boat
Living in this area, it was only a matter of time before we would get a boat. Well, that day finally came. All the pieces fell into place, and we are now the proud new owners of a big boat that neither of us knows how to operate. Now we are outfitting it with all the toys (skis, wake-boards, fishing stuff, etc.). We aren't entirely sure what we are doing, but we're having a good time figuring it out. It should be a fun summer on the water!

Kind of a dark picture by the lake. My car is a beast, by the way. 7400 pounds of towing and seating for 8, all in a package that is smaller than a mini-van. Boom!

Outdoor seating for the whole family

And indoor seating as well. It's actually pretty roomy, if you can get everyone to sit down. It also folds down to a king sized bed for boat camping. Hmm...anyone want to babysit five wonderful children overnight?

Climbing
This isn't really specific to this week, but I just want to record that I absolutely love our ongoing Wednesday night climbing date. I get home from work and play with the kids- hang out, eat dinner, read books, etc. Then, a babysitter comes right around bedtime and Rachel and I head for the local crags. We can usually get an hour and a half to two hours of climbing before retiring to our favorite local restaurant for appetizers (The Oval Office) where we top of the night. It's a wonderful weekly tradition for this year.

Silverwood
Rachel and Evelyn went to Silverwood theme park and had a wonderful time. Hooray for Summer!


2 comments:

  1. Great post. Sounds like a busy summer is in progress. The boat is fantastic. Perhaps, you and Rachel can stay with the kids and mom and I can come take the boat "camping." Sounds good to me. Craffts, strawberry picking, and Silverwood all sound like the taste of summer. At this point in my life, I would have to say that the best part of your climbing date is the restaurant stop afterwords. Keep up the great traditions. We love you guys and are looking forward to seeing you again. Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that you could come to the reunion. You all added a lot to it. The boat is awesome. It will give the family great joy! Keep on staying busy and building memories!













































    Glad you could make it to the reunion. Your family added a nice touch to the gathering. The boat is awesome and will leave the family with fond memories. Keep on being active and building bonds and memories.


    ReplyDelete