Wednesday, April 22, 2015

It is Wednesday night and I am sitting in my shop right now eating frozen burritos. We just got back from the Kroc center where Evelyn went to "Club 7," the other kids went to their free babysitting, and I rock climbed for 2 hours (on-sighted an 11d today and set a 12b). When I was done the kids ate a fast-food dinner in the car, and then went right to bed when we got home. They are good kids.

Rachel has been home all evening with some of her lady friends doing a Pinterest night. I have no idea what they are making tonight, but this has become a monthly tradition for Rachel, and her group seems to be growing. It's the same group we went dancing with a little while ago, and who we will invite to our home for our annual Cinco de Mayo BBQ (also our wedding anniversary) in a few weeks.

As for our week- things have been pretty eventful. 

The biggest bit of news was our visit from Grandpa for a full 5 and a half days. The kids especially loved having him here, and they are still talking about camping in the back yard, getting ice cream, and telling stories. I had to work most of the time, but it was still a good visit and Grandpa got to do a lot with the younger kids including painting Jack's room.  It is now referred to as 'The creamsicle room."  On Saturday we all went to a "mountain festival" in the small town of Kellogg where they had a classic car display and live music featuring a great band and one of the best singers in all North Idaho (sarcasm). Hey- they seemed to be having a good time playing music, and I was thoroughly entertained (not sarcasm), so I guess we all won. From there we said our goodbyes and Grandpa was off for his house. That evening the kids had a "kids meeting" in the backyard to regale each other with stories about grandpa's visit and to commiserate with each other in sadness because he had to leave.

That night, Rachel and I went out and had a wonderful date at a local place with a really good cover band (definitely not sarcasm). We ate and danced and had a great night together to cap off what was already a great week.

One more thing that should be mentioned here...

Rachel is awesome.

Now, that sentence could easily stand on its own, but I'm not going to let it. Instead, I am going to tell you exactly why Rachel is even awesomer than normal this week. Because on Saturday night she got a text saying that there was a desperate need for an interpreter the next day. All it said was that pay was good and that it would take a few hours in the morning. Rachel responded and said she would be willing to take the job. That's when she found out the venue. 

Now, I can't say too much here because of confidentiality rules. Let's just say that this ended up being the biggest job that Rachel has ever had. She was interpreting in front of twelve THOUSAND(ish) people, in probably the largest venue we have in the area. On top of that, her boss (and friend) from work would be there. Stakes were high on this one, and I would be lying if I said she wasn't at least a little bit nervous.

But all those nerves were for naught. Rachel totally rocked it. I think she has reached the "Jedi knight" status that she told me about when we were dating- that coveted position in the interpreting world where linguistic genius intersects with practical reality and forms a sort of magical "flow" of communication. It is amazing, and it is Rachel, and it is awesome. By the way, these are all my words. Rachel is far too humble to admit to any of this in person. Just know that I am pretty lucky to be married to someone like her.

Alright. On to pictures.

The only picture we actually have of Grandpa while he was here. At least it proves that I'm not just making it up!

Maren with her chosen classic car


First haircuts.


Okay. These pictures are a little bit embarrasing. This week was the first week that Lindsey has slept in a crib. Until now, she has been sleeping in her car seat. And it's not that we didn't have a bed. In fact, we have two bassinets and 4 cribs. So really, there is no excuse. It's just that it was so easy, and she didn't seem to mind. The bassinet was in the way in our bedroom and she wasn't ready to share a room with someone else just yet.  I know- we are terrible parents (but I don't really think that). Anyway, this week we finally got around to putting one of the cribs together for little L, and she couldn't be happier. Just look at the way she stretches out. Couldn't do that in a car seat!

Just a random picture of my amazing wife
I don't know why, but I like it when numbers are nice and even like this. 50,000 views on this blog- average 122 views/post. Not too bad for such a personal affair. 


My Saturday morning trail-run was to the top of Mt. Coeur d'Alene. 11 miles. Here is the cabin at the top to prove that I made it in one piece. Pretty trail.

2 comments:

  1. I''m impressed that you've become a mountain runner! And I'm proud of Rachel too! She really is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of you are great at what you do. I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete