Sunday, June 9, 2013

Ever since I can remember, I have woken up early in the morning. It doesn't really matter what time I go to bed, I will always wake up some time between 5:00 and 6:00 in the morning. This happens without fail, and without an alarm. I love these morning times and have really come to value them as the only time of the day that is truly "mine." Also, I feel like I am able to get more done between 5:30 and 8:30 than the rest of the hours of the day put together. It's great.

So great, in fact, that Addy has decided to try it- and she likes it! Her and I are now known in our family as "the early risers." It's fun having her as a morning partner, but it also makes it hard sometimes when I am counting on having time to do "my" stuff. Sometimes it is great though. Like on Friday. We were awake and ready for the day. We had eaten breakfast, showered, and gotten dressed. Everyone else (except Rachel) was still in bed. So we decided to go exploring.

Remarkably, there is a trail about 15 minutes from here that I have never been on before (I know, crazy). It's supposed to be super pretty, with a waterfall about half way through.  The whole hike is an  8-11 mile loop depending on how you do it, and I wanted to check it out. I knew we wouldn't be able to go very far, but at least I would be able to see if it was a place worth returning to.

So, we got in the car and headed out. 15 minutes later we were in one of the most beautiful places I have been to around here (and that's saying something). There was a huge wetland type field with all kinds of wild birds- cranes, geese, a lot of different kinds of ducks, and a bunch of other smaller birds that were super colorful. It looked like a bird refuge. In front of the wetland, the mountains rose up around the sparkling water of the lake, and beyond it they continued into National Forest. 

Walking around the initial parking lot we discovered a large park with a playground, lots of shade, fire pits, horseshoe pits, a sand volleyball court with a net, nice restroom facilities (this matters with kids), a boat launch, and a sheltered swimming beach. Wow! This was perfect! How had I missed this place? We then got back in the car and drove a couple hundred feet up a dirt road to find a beautiful, well maintained little campground (For my family, think of Teton Campground with a lot more trees and a lot better bathrooms). Woah- there was camping up here? I didn't know that? When I inquired about the price I found it to be extremely reasonable as well- about as much as it would take us in gas to drive to a free campsite (and around here, that's not far). 

Well, we kept going and came to a little creek with the trail-head marker. Addy and I hiked up the trail about 100 feet, and she told me she wanted me to carry her. Then she wanted to go home. Addy is a great exploring partner until you actually get out of the car to explore. After that, she is kind of like a big lump of wood that you are forced to carry around with you. 

Figuring that I was here for her, and that I could do the trail another day, we walked back to the park and the beach and played for a while before getting back in the car. When the car didn't start, we had another adventure- calling a tow truck! Thankfully we were close enough to home that they could just take us to our house (the rules on our free roadside assistance specify that they will take you 15 miles or to the nearest repair shop- whichever you want). 

So, we got home safely and we discovered a place that we will go back to a lot, I think. In fact, I think next weekend we will go there to camp for Father's Day. It should be nice.



1 comment:

  1. What a gold mine! I think Addy would be a fun partner to have anywhere you go, as long as there are bathrooms!

    ReplyDelete