Sunday, September 9, 2012

Rocks, pebbles, and sand

We've been busy lately. Like, really busy. Like, get-up-at-five-in-the-morning-and-don't-stop-till-midnight busy. Come to find out, starting your own business is a lot of work. Who would've thought.

With all the craziness, we've noticed that everything else has sort of been brushed aside for the time being.  This business has totally taken over our lives- and we're starting to see the effects. Don't get me wrong, we're actually really enjoying all this, but every time Rachel and I talk to each other it is about the business. Whenever we are not talking we are doing business stuff. The house is starting to fall a little bit into disrepair. The kids are starting to wonder where their parents are. My Sunday school class is probably starting to pick up on my lack of preparation. Even our date nights seem to have been hijacked as we find ourselves using the time to shop for carpet, paint, and furniture for the new office.

We keep rationalizing that it will all get better once things get established and we have a routine. To a certain extent I think this is true. At the same time, I can see a lot of work ahead that doesn't really have an end-point to it and I don't want to start any bad workaholic type habits now. I didn't really realize how bad it had gotten until this morning. I woke up early (as always) and thought I'd use some of my morning time to work on business stuff (as always).

It was going well, and then Addy woke up and came up the stairs with a book for me to read. I told her I was busy and that I would read it to her later. Then Jack came up with a truck and wanted me to play with him. I brushed him aside and went to another room. Rachel came out and asked what I had been up to that morning and that initiated yet another long discussion about "the business." When Evelyn woke up she informed us that she was hungry wanted some food. When Jack and Addy heard the "F-word" they came running up the stairs because they were hungry too. Rachel and I continued our conversation about the office as I started making pancakes.

It was only then that we realized that it was Addy and Jack's birthday.

Guilt.

I made them happy face pancakes to try to compensate for my total failure as a dad to remember not one, but two of my children's birthdays (it's not fair that they are twins). And it's not like I totally forgot- I knew it was coming up soon- but today? We tried to have a good breakfast, but the business still managed to creep into the conversation. And then Rachel asked how my lesson was coming for Sunday school.

Lesson?

Guilt.

Then I looked at the clock. It was 9:15 and I was supposed to be at PEC (a church leadership meeting) at 9:30. I was in my pajamas still and I hadn't eaten or showered and I didn't have a lesson prepared. The thought crossed my mind- "There is no way I'll make it in time for the meeting anyway- I should just stay home." But then the other thought crossed my mind "Go to the meeting- it's your duty and even if you're late at least you'll be there." The second thought won out. I got ready quickly and went to the meeting.

Just as I was walking in they were saying the opening prayer. Next on the agenda was the "spiritual thought," given this week by our bishop. Then he started talking. I'll tell you what- this man is inspired. He didn't actually do the object lesson, but he talked about trying to get rocks, pebbles and sand to fit into a jar. He explained that the only way to make it work was to put the rocks in first, followed by the pebbles, and finally the sand at the end. He then went on to speak about how we need to define what things in our lives go into which category. That important things like family, church, and personal scripture study are the rocks. They need to be done first. That's not to say that other things aren't important, but unless these things come first there is no way to fit everything into your day. It just doesn't happen.

Guilt.

Now, I've seen and heard this object lesson many times. I've even used it myself in teaching others. And I am good at time management- in fact I consider it one of my greatest strengths. But today, with everything going on all at once, it served as a very timely reminder of an important principal that I had let myself ignore. Then I went to another source of advice that I have received and that has given guidance to me throughout my life- my patriarchal blessing. It reads, in part:

"Because your life will be filled with activity you must make certain that you reserve time for your wife and your children, sufficient time for you to teach them the gospel, have them feel your love, see your example, and feel the joy that comes through being together as a family."

Those words came from someone who knows me better than I know myself. Rachel has, in jest, told me that  I have an addiction to stress. You know, in a way I think she is right. I like to be busy. I like to be pushing myself. If life gets too easy I tend to find ways to make it more difficult- like starting a business. And the more I get to know myself the more I realize that I will have a life "filled with activity," and that realistically it's not going to slow down...ever. And I love that. But at the same time, I am thankful for timely reminders like the ones I received today about what the important things really are.

So...

On a different note- Addy and Jack had their birthdays today. Some neighborhood kids came over uninvited with a bunch of presents for them, so we broke the no-friends-on-Sunday rule for about a half hour and had a mini birthday party on the front porch. We are actually doing a real party next week, so I'll write more at that time about them turning three and everything. For now...I think I'll just be done writing so I can go help make a cake for them.

Hooray for birthdays. Hooray for family. Hooray for "rocks."

 We went out on the lake for a little while this week. We have a trolling motor that attaches to the back of this raft also, but we usually just use paddles. The kids love it!
 I wanted so see how big a dandelion could get. This is it.
Maren. Happy Girl.

3 comments:

  1. That is a great reminder for all of us...even the ones who aren't starting a business :) And a great big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Addy and Jack! I love those two kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are being looked after, Logan. What a timely message to be reminded of at the early stages of your adventure. Great post, and Haley's right, we all need that reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Addy and Jack!! We all love you. Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete