Sunday, September 11, 2011

I want to share a thought that I had last night. First, we need some context though. Addy and Jackson are two years old now and we decided that it was time to ditch the pacifiers. They have been life savers on several occasions, but the time has come for them to kick the habit. So Rachel and I made the bold and committing move of taking all of our pacifiers and throwing them right into the garbage, never to be seen again. I suppose this is sort of like when people cut up their credit cards or sell a gaming system. It forces you to follow through.

Anyway, Addy and Jack obviously had a rough night. They pretty much screamed for the better part of two full hours before falling asleep. And since we didn't want to subject Evelyn to the totality of their misery we allowed her to fall asleep in our bed. Later, after Rachel and I finished cleaning the house and watching a movie, I carried our sweet girl into her own bed and kissed her goodnight. I also went around to each of the kids, as I do every night, and told them I would always love them and gave them each kisses.

This is when I had my thought. I don't know why it came to me on this night, of all nights, but it did and it hit me hard. Are you ready for it? Here it is- I LOVE BEING A DADDY! I love the stage each one of my kids are in. I love the little talks I have with Evelyn and her surprising depth and insight into life that comes out at the most random times. I love laying on my belly with Adalie laying next to me and reading books and looking for "hidden pictures." I love watching Jackson giggle as he makes new discoveries about his world that force me to see things in a totally new and different way. I love playing with each of them at a park, or giving them high fives, or even just watching them as they interact with each other. My kids are so amazing right now and I just want to hold on to every second and not let it go.

And then I had the bittersweet thought that one day it will all come to an end. I could suddenly see Jackson heading off for a mission, or Evelyn getting married, and I realized that the very special relationship I have with them will evolve into something much deeper, but at the same time something very different than what I have now. Basically, I realized that they are growing up and that I could do nothing to stop that.

Don't get me wrong- there are days when it seems that this can't happen soon enough. And I am excited to watch them as they become more and more independent. But on that night I just wanted them to stay exactly as they were forever. And I went over to each of them and I whispered to Evelyn that she would always be "My Little Girl", and I told Jackson that he would always be my "Little Mister", and I told Addy that she would always be my "Sweetie Girl".

And they will.

For the time being I will just try to hang on to every fleeting moment and enjoy it for what it is. It will be fun to watch them grow up, and I'm sure we have a great budding relationship that is only in its very early stages of development, but in my mind a part of them will always stay little.

Okay. Now that I got that out I can actually let you in on the activities we did this week:

My mom, dad, Allison, and Courtney were here through Labor Day. On Sunday we went to Coeur d'Alene and hiked Tubbs Hill with everyone. The kids loved it. As Evelyn would say- it is a very beautiful place.


Food coloring + Shaving cream + Shower Wall = Tons of Fun and Easy Clean-up!





Addy and Jack turned two! There were two parties- a "friends" party during park day, and a family party later that night. They ate a lot of cupcakes that day. Also, we went to the doctor the next day for their 2-year check up and Jackson has finally made it onto the growth curve. WooHooo!


I thought this picture was funny. I told Evelyn and Jackson to look at the camera. Evelyn thought she could "help" Jackson to pose.


Grandma Almond got Jackson a little Vacuum for his birthday present. Judging from this picture I can't tell who is more excited about this, Rachel or Jack. Seriously though, he loves it. That night he had to sleep with it next to his bed.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha, that's funny about the vacuum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those relationships you have with your kids will always be special...even when they get to be parents, like you! It was just yesterday that we were wanting to freeze you at your cute little stages, but look where you are now. Every stage is great!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete