Sunday, January 9, 2011

Our Christmas vacation was the perfect length. We had a wonderful time with family, and now it feels great to be home.

The second half of our vacation was spent in Sandy with my family (yes, this is Rachel making a guest appearance on our blog). We had a week and a half full of visiting, playing Munchkins (a fun new game we learned), playing with kids, playing in the snow, eating cheese fondue creations, playing Monopoly Deal (a fun not so new game we know), eating chocolate fondue creations, playing Robots (you guessed it! Another game we know), sledding, and it wouldn't be a visit to my family's house without creme brulee!

I have LOVED living in Cleveland, but having our kids so far away from grandparents, aunts and uncles is tough. One of my favorite parts of this vacation was watching Evelyn, Adalie, and Jackson have play time with my family and with Logan's family. This time is priceless.

On to Christmas!

Logan and I arrived at my family's house on Christmas Eve. We kept up with the Almond tradition of opening one gift on Christmas Eve. Afterwards, we didn't have time to bake cookies for Santa, so I let Evelyn decide what we should leave out for him. She didn't hesitate at all: Santa would have a banana and milk. Evelyn was very excited for Santa to come. I love that she is old enough to understand the real Christmas story and the Santa Christmas story as well.

On a side note... Evelyn is very well versed in the Christmas nativity story. So much in fact, that for about two weeks she was convinced that three of her fingers were the actual three wise men. She cut her finger and was very adament that the wise mens had an owie. She informed everyone that she knew of this fact, and even some people that she didn't know.

Back to Christmas Eve... After we put our sweet kids to bed we realized that there were a few things that were needed for Christmas dinner. We also realized that it is nearly impossible to find somewhere that is open on Christmas Eve at 8:30. After many phone calls we found a store across town that would still have smiling faces to greet us until exactly 9:00. I am thankful for the dollar toy section in this store because Logan and I realized that it might be a good idea to get special gifts for our kids that were from 'Santa.'

Christmas morning was wonderful! Stockings were stuffed, Santa's gifts were carefully laid out, and Evelyn was very excited. The Christmas feeling was in the air!

One of my favorite Christmas pasttimes is watching other people open their gifts. I remember one year my mom had me help wrap gifts (something I enjoy), and that Christmas was not fun at all because there was no surprise when other people opened their presents. Since that time, I don't want to know what other people are getting unless I have to. This year did not dissapoint. I had a great time watching all of the gift opening. I also had a great time doing the gift opening!

I am sure you are done hearing me ramble. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.
I discovered a love for sewing this year. I borrowed a friend's sewing machine for exactly eight days. In that time I made 3 skirts (one for each of my girl's and one for their cousin Zoey), an apron for Evelyn and myself, five table runners, and a purse. I also made multiple magnet sets, a rug for the grandparents and a floor mat with a little town grid for play cars. As I was working like a crazy person I came to the realization that I could actually sew things for myself and not just when Christmas came around. Logan bought me a new sewing machine for Christmas and I already have a list of things I want to make! I never thought I would become the artsy homemaker type. I am not sure what I think about that image... But I do know that I enjoy sewing and creating new things.

This toy was a hit! I noticed that Adalie was more and more daring with her stunts. She started out pretty timid, but by the day we left she balanced on the seat standing up with no hands and and a huge grin.

One on one time with Uncle Brandon.

This is the only picture we have of our actual sledding trip. Jackson was a maniac. He loved going down with Logan, and he loved running until he fell down, and he loved playing in the snow. Evelyn had a great time playing with Brandon on the nearby playground equiptment. Adalie did NOT like sledding down the big hill. She was tolerant of the tiny hill, but her preferred mode of travel was being pulled in the sled. She also liked to just sit in the sled and observe everyone. All in all I think our kids each had a good time in their own way. This picture actually comes a few days after the next few. These next pictures were the first time the kids got to play in real snow (the first time we actually had snow gear for all of them).




Adalie did not enjoy the snow very much. She wanted to be held and reassured for almost the entire time. She was finally coaxed into hanging out in the sled while we pulled her around. Jackson joined her for a while, but he didn't want to sit still for long.

This is her happy face.


Evelyn and Jackson being pulled by Papa. Logan sure got a work out in the completely flat yard.


Introduction to the snow! We were very excited to finally have all of the snow gear we need for all three kids!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like so much fun! I can't believe that Jackson's coat fits him so well when it looked so big. We miss you guys and your cute kids. It was good to see your pictures. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete